Author Topic: old flintlock pistol  (Read 4009 times)

cobracoach

old flintlock pistol
« on: January 21, 2012, 08:41:01 PM »
tryng to determine an insurance value for a friend that is clueless. the hammer is in the bag in 2 pieces. any help would be appreciated.
http://s1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc418/cobracoach/
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 08:47:16 PM by cobracoach »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: old flintlock pistol
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 09:32:06 PM »
Looks French 1740's first guess.  Full length pix would help.
Andover, Vermont

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 10:15:03 PM »
Hi,
You need to provide better photos.  The barrel seems to have a proof mark on the left side that almost looks English but the photo is not clear.  There is also writing on the lockplate that we need to see. 

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

cobracoach

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 11:13:03 PM »
   Yeah I was disappointed with the detail after I downloaded the pics. I`m not sure if I can get the gun back, but will check.
   I have a fraction of the historical knowelage of you gents on here but I have been involved in muzzleloading for 35 years I`ve never seen anything this old looking and ornate.

Offline alex e.

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 01:31:10 AM »
If that is a name one the lock plate, chances are you can find when,who & where it was made.
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline nord

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 01:43:38 AM »
Gentlemen,

I believe a Birmingham proof from what I can enlarge and reasonably speculate. More than that I can't say.
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 02:32:59 AM »
Better pictures, or a name on the barrel or lock, would make for an easier answer.
Could be French or English, etc. 1750 would be a good date guess, but could be 50 years later too.
The wood carving looks nice although not unusually fancy, and it looks like a little bit of simple engraving on the metal. Despite the nice looking carving, this wouldn't have been a high end pistol of the time, more of a mid range example.
Price-wise, I think it would sell for $1500/$2000 tops and probably less. If it was made by a famous maker, maybe a bit more.
The broken hammer could be repaired pretty easily for a couple hundred bucks or so. Tell your friend not to loose the broken piece of hammer because having to make a replacement part would up the repair bill by a good bit!

John 
John Robbins

cobracoach

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 05:59:09 PM »
thanks for everyones input. I have posted a couple more pics I still had on my computer, one which shows the name on the lock. it reads "Le Feuvpl Fil". under that reads "Nar Bonne" and a possible t at the end under the frizzen spring. I also included one that sort of shows the gold inlay work on the barrel. i did not mention that it is a smoothbore appx .45 to .50 cal if memory serves. thanks for looking

Offline Steve Collward

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 11:15:40 PM »
Robert Gardner's "Small Arms Maker's" cites Le Faure Fils, working in Paris 1760-73.