Author Topic: J Abendshen Pittsburgh  (Read 6731 times)

Mark B

J Abendshen Pittsburgh
« on: January 23, 2012, 08:10:07 PM »
When Rich Hicks passed he left us a very fine target rifle signed "J Abendshen "on the top flat, and "Conestoga Rifle Works" on the lock. The rifle is of exceptionally fine quality, cut with a gain twist and false muzzle, and patent breech.It is roughly .43 cal, shoots a cloth patched picket bullet. It probably weighs about 18lbs[I have sent it out for a mould to be made].It is finely checkered in the wrist, and J Abendshen used one of the nicest pieces of widely striped walnut I have seen. He has been located in Pittsburgh in 1858. Now, I Have read of only a few rifles of his. Since he had  this high  level of skill I trust there are more. I would like to hear from anyone having a rifle or more information re:this fine old maker. Thanks!

BGC

Re: J Abendshen Pittsburgh
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 05:25:48 AM »
Joseph Abendshen (1830-1866)
Born in Germany.
Between 1857 and 1860 he had a shop at 50 Wayne St., Pittsburgh.
Between 1862 and 1866 he maintained a gunshop in Wheeling, WV.
Yours is the 2nd Abendshen rifle I have heard of.  One was for sale about 10 years ago or so, but never heard who purchased it. I've never seen his work.
Perhaps you can post some photo's of this gunsmith's work so all can see and enjoy the workmanship.

Mark B

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 07:06:25 PM »
BBC, Thanks for the info. I had thought Abendshen probably met his maker during the Civil War. Now we need to determine where he went next. I recall Rich suggesting Abendshen's wife may have been involved in gun building, but I don't recall his source of info.The rifle I described can be seen by googling "Conestoga Rifle Works Heavy Target 6132689" .It is better in real life. It was sold in 2004 and may be the one you recall. I hope to report good target results this spring.

BGC

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 07:29:40 PM »
I believe Joseph might have died in Wheeling, or died during the Civil War.  He would have been about thirty-six years old when he passed.
According to the information in James B. Whisker's book, WV Gunsmiths; Mrs. Joseph Abendshen was listed as a gunsmith at 168 Main St., Wheeling, WV in the Wheeling Directory of 1867-1868.  George Main was listed as a gunsmith at the same location in the Directory of 1868-1869.

eskilgh

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 04:58:08 PM »
Hi
Old post , but I'll try it anyways.

Nice rifle you got there.
I've also got a rifle which is marked J Abendshen on he barrel, it's fitted with a Golcher lock and a halfstock
walnut stock, bore is .4o cal. Sorry about the bad photo, but its the only one i got at the moment.
More information and photos can be added if the post still lives.

Regards
Eskil

BGC

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 07:13:04 PM »
Nice rifle.  Please post further photo's and submit to the musuem.  Little is known about these rifles and the smith that made them.  Any close up's would be great especially of the signature.

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 09:35:54 PM »
May be add both your guns to the Museum ? Please send a private email to fgarner@verizon.net
Hurricane

Online tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 03:45:50 AM »
Abendshen, Joseph (1830-1866). gunsmith. Joseph Abendshen [or Abendshoen or Aboutzen] was born in Germany. Between 1857 and 1860 he had a shop at 50 Wayne St., Pittsburgh. Between 1862 and 1866 he maintained a gunshop in Wheeling, West Virginia [Pittsburgh Dirs.; tax; Duncan McConnell in Muzzle Blasts, November 1945, p. 7].  In the Wheeling Directory of 1867-68 Mrs. Joseph Abendshoen was listed as a gunsmith at 168 Main St., Wheeling, West Virginia. In the same directory of 1868-69 George Main was listed as a gunsmith at the same location in Wheeling.

eskilgh

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 03:51:39 PM »
Hi
Posting some pictures for those interested.
Rifle is Cal 40 and approx. 55" (140cm) long.

Tallbear wrote: "Abendshen, Joseph (1830-1866). gunsmith. Joseph Abendshen [or Abendshoen or Aboutzen]"

Does that mean there are rifles out there marked Abendshoen or Aboutzen?

Regards
Eskil

Offline heinz

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 04:19:55 PM »
Did Mr Abendshen ever spend time in Hamilton County Ohio?  That sure looks like a typical Cincinnati rifle.
kind regards, heinz

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 01:28:28 AM »
I like that rifle,everything about it.Nice lines,above average
workmanship and even the back action lock looks right on it.

Bob Roller

Offline b bogart

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2013, 02:28:39 AM »
Like Mr Roller, I too think this is a nice looking rifle with good craftsmanship. With that said I just find it hard to be enthused about a rifle without lock panels. Please do not think of this as a critisim! Just my preference.

BGC

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 04:38:13 AM »
The different spelling found for Abendshen is probably due to public records that Dr Whisker looked at.  Some gunsmith's were illiterate and couldn't spell. Therefore it was up to the person recording the information to spell whatever way he found appropriate. Sometimes they couldn't spell either. The guns are probably stamped correctly. Just the paper trail is sometimes in need of an interpeter.

eskilgh

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 11:56:19 PM »
Hi
Thanks for the information and comments.
Anyone have any idea of the value of a gun like this?
I bought this in Norway, so I have no idea what it would be worth in its homeland.

Mr Bogart. No problem, you can criticise as much as you like. I didn't make this rifle  ;)

Reg
Eskil

BGC

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 12:14:41 AM »
Value depends on how much a buyer wants to pay. I'd guess for this rifle, between $650-$750.  It's a nice rifle for what it is, but it doesn't have a lot going for it.