Author Topic: Mike Gahagan Morton rifle  (Read 8271 times)

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
Mike Gahagan Morton rifle
« on: November 28, 2008, 03:28:10 AM »
   If you like western Pennsylvania longrifles and want to see a really nice recreation of a Daniel Morton rifle, check out Art Riser's Contemporary Maker's blog site.   Really nice job Mike, I sure would be proud of that one.    Best wishes, Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
Re: Mike Gahagan Morton rifle
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 04:55:40 PM »
Yea, I was drooling over that gun yesterday. I particularly love that patchbox. Outstanding work.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 06:26:08 PM by Robert Wolfe »
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 06:24:02 PM »
As Don Getz and I have said many times, Mike is the best kept secret in the entire contemporary building world.  The quality of his work is second to none.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 09:15:06 AM »
David Morton is getting to be a popular maker to build. There was a Jud Brennan rifle at the CLA Show and I'm just finishing one up. I'll post it in a few weeks.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 03:37:53 PM »
A couple of years ago the owner of the gun that Mike re-created had that and the "old" Mortin (attributed) to the Jefferson Co. Historical Society's Arms & Artifact show at the Jefferson Co. Fairgrounds.   They were directly across from my display and I had a lot of time to look and photograph both.   I had Fred Miller put barrels in stocks for both guns, but just have not caught up enough to do either gun.   There was a lot of very fine gun making done in Western PA, that seems to have been largely overlooked.   As Bill says I think that trend is changing.  there will be a lot more guys poring over the originals and the book Longrifles of Western Pennsylvania, Rosenberger & Kaufmann.   Both of the original Morton rifles I mentioned are illustrated there.
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Mike Gahagan

• Mike Gahagan-Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 06:57:20 PM »
Thanks guys for the kind words.I too believe that the Western Penn. guns are over looked and that they were some of the prettiest gun built at that later time period. I had always wanted to do one,but I didn`t think that I would ever get the chance.Then a guy calls up to order a gun and when I asked what he wanted,he told me to build him something that I have always to do.So it didn`t take me long to decide on what to build....Mike

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 07:55:09 AM »
Mike, pretty much the same thing with me. A guy wanted a fancy rifle and I steered him in that direction. Fleeger is another good one. You always do beautifull work. Post some pictures here for us to enjoy.

Offline RobertS

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 01:05:23 AM »
There's another maker by that surname, Ken Gahagan, whose work has caught my eye quite often on the contemporary makers blog. 

Could these two talented souls be related?

Offline Mike Gahagan

• Mike Gahagan-Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 09:00:25 PM »
I have met him at the CLA show but I don`t believe that we are any close kin.There are not too many of us around(probably a good thing)so we are most likely related somewhere down the line.He definitely make some beautiful stuff.I would love to own on of his knives.

Madcaster

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 07:25:50 AM »
 Do you have a link please?

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 09:10:18 AM »
I got to looking thru my pics from the CLA show and sure enough, I have a nice picture of the patchbox of the Morton rifle that Jud Brennan had there.  Boy, how cool would it be to see all three of those guns, (Brennan, Gahagan, and Shipman)  together.  Even better,  how would you like to have to pick one of the three. 
Now there's a sweet dilemma.
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

lew wetzel

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 05:37:57 PM »
between mikes and bills rifle i dont know which one i like the best.both are very nice rifles and done very,very well.have not seen juds rifle yet.bravo zulu to mike and bill on a job well done....