Author Topic: Mixed Brass & iron 120110-2  (Read 4896 times)

Offline nord

Mixed Brass & iron 120110-2
« on: January 27, 2012, 04:29:47 PM »

Comments:

It is nice southern rifle, but its a bit outside my area of interest or knowledge.  I am used to seeing these with a nice dark finish.  I would pass based on condition, unless there are other meritorious features that others are able to draw attention to and determine are worthy of adding value to the Museum.
=================================================================
This rifle is worthy of study.  It has characteristics from both Carolina and Tennessee and I can't pinpoint it beyond that. But it is useful for future reference.

================================================================
I agree with XXXX; the guard, stock architecture, and "mixed metal" mountings, i.e. brass and iron used together (often seen in southeastern KY), etc. provide material worth studying. But with that said, this gun is pretty far removed from its original appearance, with shortened barrel, added inlays and barrel bands, cleaned iron parts, etc. Not even sure the tang is original, without seeing a better picture of it, and its tip/finial.

I think some of our discussions get too wrapped up in "artistic merit" rather than educational value of these pieces. Unless the hand of the original gunmaker is really obliterated, or masked by excessive later additions & modifications, I believe most guns offer some educational value. Perhaps not today, but in the future when a similar gun with a name or initials is found that allows the maker to be identified, then some of these lesser, unsigned guns, will grow in value by adding new insights into that maker's work, or breadth of work, particularly if his work is scarce. 
=================================================================
A bit off topic but what I find interesting is the discussion between "art" and "rifle" by a collector and builder, respectfully.  Collectors often look at a rifle like a painting, while builders point out the faults with the originals.  I don't mean to be too "artsy" but I am a collector.  We need to remember the builders and include rifles like this in the library.  Then again if it is not "right" (added inlays, later alterations, etc.) why perpetuate a myth? 
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 03:51:38 AM by Dennis Glazener »
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.