Author Topic: They Are Still Out There  (Read 5519 times)

GrampaJack

They Are Still Out There
« on: January 27, 2012, 10:05:01 PM »
There are still some surprises out there.  A couple years ago I saw an ad for a local auction. The sale was for household goods and tools but it also mentioned “old gun parts”.  With nothing better to do on a Saturday morning I decided to check it out. You had to see the place to believe it. A 50s vintage mobile home with a house built over it. The trailer stuck out both ends of the house. Inside were piles of old clothes, stained mattresses, and dirty Tupperware.  What had once been an attached garage was leaning out from the side at enough of an angle that I was a little concerned about going inside. The garage was full to head high with rusty junk. It smelled really bad inside. In the middle was what had once been a picnic table with rusty cans full of bent rusty nails etc. You get the picture. Lying along the edge of the table was a very long barrel with an original touch hole still intact. OK, now I’m really interested. Standing in the corner was a pile of old shovels, hoes, rakes and buried behind it was a full stock with a big roman nose that appeared to belong to the barrel. Wow.  Back to the table and in a cigar box under a bunch of rusty screws was the original flint lock plate with all the original internal parts lying loose among the junk. Big problem, how to get all the parts without alerting the folks who were
obviously there to pick stuff for flea market fodder.  One wrong move and a potential bargain was gone. So, the sale starts and I manage to get the barrel without attracting too much attention. The auctioneer called it a rusty pipe. The stock was bought by paying 5 bucks each (take as many as you want) for all the shovels and rakes (about $20 total).  The box of “parts” went into a larger box along with some other $#@* and cost another 10. With all my parts in custody away I went.  It is, I believe, a flint fowler. The barrel is 51” and appears to be about 54 cal. It is 1” at the breech tapering to about 5/8 at the muzzle. I had to replace a big chunk of wood just above the lock but other than that the completely black stock was intact. During the cleaning operation a very distinct stripe appeared in the wood which I think is probably walnut. The lock appears to be original to the gun. There are no marks at all on the entire gun except for a capital H stamped inside the lock plate.  The H has curved sides and looks kind of like a hood emblem for a Honda. So, I am going to make my first attempt to post a picture.  If it fails I may need some help to get them up.  Appreciate comments from those who are better schooled in fowlers. Thanks, Jack 

GrampaJack

Re: They Are Still Out There
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 10:10:56 PM »
Wow, I did it. So, here are some more. I forgot to mention I did have to make a new side plate. Jack

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 12:47:28 AM »
Wow! I'd like to hit some of the auctions in your area wherever it is.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 01:05:51 AM »
Jack,
What a great find, especially with all the parts. Cobsidering the conditions you found it in, it doesn't look to be in to bad a condition. I found a percussion fowler recently that I thought I did well on but you put me to shame.  Nice job.
Mark
Mark

Dave K

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 01:28:49 AM »
My gosh, what a great find~!

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 01:31:55 AM »
My late friend and mentor told me a story about once finding an old original longrifle on a table at a flea market down in Ohio. It was a fairly early piece that had been converted to percussion. There was an old cloth bag tied to the trigger guard. He bought it for a very reasonable (cheap) price. Got it home and found all of the original parts in the bag to put it back to flintlock.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 01:33:42 AM by Majorjoel »
Joel Hall

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 01:53:51 AM »
A fine gun; congratulations!!! You did everything right, from shielding your interest in it at the auction, and getting all the parts for it, down to putting it all back right. Great job!
Looks like you found a really grand Berks County fowler dating likely back to the last decade of the 1700s by the lock plate and sideplate. Does it have a cheek rest? Can't tell from the photos. Everything about the gun is very nice. Thank you for letting us have a look.
Dick

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 02:31:14 AM »
Wanna double your money???  ;D

I can imagine your excitement as found the parts bit by bit, then managed to buy them, piece by piece! Congratulations on your bidding prowness!
A fine old Fowler, I'll agree likely Berks, and thanks for the pictures,,, and cool story!

John
John Robbins

GrampaJack

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 03:08:07 AM »
No cheek rest.  The barrel is octagon to round with the flats running out about a foot then just fading into the round. No wedding band. Here is a picture of the butt plate that I forgot to add.

Offline kentucky bucky

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 02:16:55 AM »
Fantastic find!  I'll bet you were really nervous trying to win those bids for the gun parts. One time when I was a young fellow, I was at an estate auction of an old old woman in may home town. In her personal effects, there was a framed Virginia Militia Officers commission certificate from 1770 signed by one of our best known patriot statesmen. Plain as day you could read P.Henry (Patrick Henry). I was so excited I opened my big fat mouth and the auctioneer, who wouldn't have known Patrick Henry from Santa Clause, heard me. He proceeded to call a collector buddy of his and priced me out of the sale. The thing that made me angry was I worked at the auction and should have known better! I could have bought the frame and papers for $10.00 if I had played it cool. I never forgot that sick feeling.

GrampaJack

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 04:24:41 PM »
I know just what you mean.  Fortunately the old gun parts in the auction turned out to be a couple of old Stevens favorites in poor condition so that diverted the attention of the flea market folks.  There were still some tense moments until I finally had it all. Thanks,  Jack

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 05:09:56 PM »
You get a gold star for the rescue.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 07:21:28 AM »
Out of curiosity, do the springs still have a descent tension? What does the bore look like?  Awesome find,  your luck is definately better than mine!