Author Topic: New guy  (Read 5090 times)

robert

New guy
« on: February 01, 2012, 03:32:09 AM »
Just thought I would chime in. I have been shooting muzzle loaders and black powder cartridge guns since 1959 and thought I could help with some questions you all might have.

Offline Majorjoel

Re: New guy
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 04:15:32 AM »
Welcome aboard Robert!
Joel Hall

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 05:20:50 AM »
Welcome, Robert.  53years - quite a stretch.

cahil_2

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 05:40:15 AM »
You must be around 60 then.

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 07:03:25 AM »
Robert, welcome,  You'll find we have quite a few folks that have been into the black stuff for a couple years.  we look forward to your participation.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

robert

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 06:14:17 PM »
Ya,I am 65.  When I started I found an old muzzle loading shot gun in my grandpas attic. I had a 80 yr old uncle who helped me clean it up and show me how to shoot it. I will never for get when he told me to find some hornets that are not home for wads.             

Offline Stormrider51

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 06:30:05 PM »
Welcome aboard!  I think we are tied.  I shot my first deer with a muzzleloader in 1959 at the ripe age of 8.  I remember that it was a cool damp morning and when I fired the smoke cloud hid the deer.  When it cleared I couldn't see the deer and was worried I'd missed with Dad sitting right there beside me.  Then he told me he saw her go down where she stood.  I wanted to run over and see but he made me reload my rifle first.  I was shooting a .40 cal Dickert style rifle that he built for me.  The range was about 40 yards.

Storm

robert

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 06:36:19 PM »
What is neat if you still have that gun like I do. You can pick it up and it all comes right back like yesterday.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 07:41:35 PM »
Welcome to the forum, robert.  There's a certain "mystique" to being an old timer and having all the answers (and questions) like us senior citizens.  I've only been into MLs since the mid 1960s but have made up for it by accumulating as much ignorance as I could.  Make yourself at home.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

robert

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 03:10:37 AM »
Ya, the farther I go the behinder I get!

chapmans

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 04:13:20 AM »
Welcome Robert,
  I fired my first muzzle loader in 1963, I was 5 yrs old, it was the first rifle Don Kammerer built, I have the rifle!
  Steve C.

Offline markwi

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 04:28:00 AM »
Welcome new guy, Robert. I see from another thread that you are from Wisconsin and belong to Smokey Hollow Muzzleloader. I plan on being at the Chuck Foster Flintlock shoot in August. I belong to the Rock River Buckskinners. We just had our winter shoot, if you can call this winter. Mark

Offline Kopfjaeger

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 06:01:04 AM »
Robert you got me beat, I've been shooting flintlocks since 1978.   Welcome to American Longrifles.
" A godly man and his rifle deprive sleep from the wicked, A christian man who prays is the defeater of evil, A praying man who will fight is the conqueror of nations and the hope of the oppressed "