Author Topic: powder sifting/sorting  (Read 2800 times)

The other DWS

powder sifting/sorting
« on: February 04, 2012, 06:20:58 PM »
I have probably 8-10 pounds of black powder in a assortment of cans that I have accumulated over the years from various sources. I do know that it is almost all GOEX or Dupont

Problem is much of it is decanted powder, parceled out from bulk containers and I have lost track, or in some cases never knew the F-grade.   Is there a reasonable way to sieve/sift the powder to figure out which grade it is?  where can one obtain a set of such sieves?

Offline bob in the woods

Re: powder sifting/sorting
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 06:33:24 PM »
I can pretty much tell by looking at the stuff. I would dump it out, and by basically shifting the powder about, get the fines out. Use them for priming, or if you don't want them for that, do it outside and just blow them away . [ light breeze works ]   It is the fines [dust ] that raises the pressure but, if you don'thave that much of this stuff..........is it worth the trouble ?  Are you sure it is all true black powder ?

The other DWS

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 06:45:24 PM »
Yeah, its all the real thing, most of it is stuff I have left over from my reenacting days some came for an elderly, no longer active ML guy.   I don't allow any of that fake-black "stuff" in my house

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 07:28:32 PM »
I would merely dump out a small pile of 3F, 2F and 1F, then compare the bulk powder to that. Eve if you only had a pile of 2F or 3F, you can judge what the mystery powder is comprised of.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 07:29:24 PM by Daryl »

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 05:26:07 PM »
I would only use it for shooting if you are just out for a fun shoot where accuracy isn't important. It's probably similar to what "Jack's powder keg" sells as re-enactor powder. Very cheap in price, but quality and granualtion is unreliable, mainly used for blank loads. I heard that it is sweepings from the powder factory, don't know, that may be rumor.

Or you could sell or donate it to the local re-enactor group that you used to belong to.

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 07:14:19 PM »
If it's all about the same, mix it in a large can or big salade bowl and then pour back into cans.  8 pounds of back powder is 8 pounds of black powder. Use it in a large bore and it won't know it's a mix of Dupont and GOEX, or 3F and 2f - doesn't matter.