Author Topic: old small bench vise  (Read 8610 times)

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
old small bench vise
« on: February 04, 2012, 07:51:51 PM »
Bought this off evilbay.  It's small, sort of intermediate between a hand vise and a heavy bench vise but I liked the style, which may be similar to earlier models.  I am guessing this one to be mid 1800's?   Not sure whether this belongs here or in the antiques section or the accoutrements section, and I'm a moderator lol.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 10:08:25 PM by Tim Crosby »
Andover, Vermont

Offline P.W.Berkuta

Re: old small bench vise
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 08:10:38 PM »
Nice find Rich. It looks real good and the size is right for that small part to fit the jaws for that fine tuning - I like it ;)
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

timM

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 08:15:43 PM »
Rich, very cool little vise!  Appears to be a gunsmithing tool to me (smile). I would love to see one or two more photos showing the mounting plate attachment to the inner leg and also the screw and screw box out of the vise.  Wrought iron?  Thx for showing it.  tim

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 09:09:09 PM »
Here you go, Tim.  The frame looks cast not forge welded to me.  The female thread collar appears to be brass or bronze.

Andover, Vermont

Offline okieboy

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 09:11:42 PM »
 Rich, this is actually a bench version of a post vise and intended for metal working. Although a blacksmith might have had one of these as a secondary or small part vise, they always strike me as belonging in a farm shop. Lots of farms had a generally small inexpensive forge, I have a Buffalo version with a sheet metal pan. The bench versions of these vises show up much less than the regular post vises, but I am uncertain as to why.
Okieboy

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 03:24:16 AM »
Thanks, Okie, I noticed the design is reminiscent of post vises.  Unfortunately on this one the threads  in the body for the screw that clamps the vise to the bench are shot.
Andover, Vermont

dannybb55

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 05:22:59 AM »
I have one of these on my bench, I file my small rifle parts on it. This is the vice that Jim Everett posted pictures of and prints of a month or two ago. The tool is all wrought and was a common product of Birmingham, UK. To mount the tool: open the mounting screw wider than the edge of the bench and position the vice where you want it. With the other hand drive the upper teeth into the bench and tighten the clamp screw so that the teeth sink into the bottom of the benchtop. The vice is a doll and is great for drmos and daily small work use.
                                   There is another one for sail on E bay.
                                                Danny

Offline James Wilson Everett

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 08:08:47 AM »
Rich,

Thats a really nice looking old vice, it may be a bit earlier that mid 19th c, don't you wish it could talk?  It is great to see folks like you interested in the old time gunsmith tools and processes.  It gives us a great appreciation for the wonderful skills the old timers had.  Here is a photo of another small vise that has not been posted.  it seems to be midway between a hand held pin vise and a larger bench top vise.  Just an interesting old tool.

From Jim Everett, Ssumba village, Wakiso District, Uganda, East Africa

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 06:17:39 PM »
Jim, I was hoping you would  chime in.  That one is a dandy. That thumbscrew is elegant.

On the bench vise I have the threads in the body for the screw that fastens the vise to the bench are all wallered out.  No way to tighten the screw and fasten it to the bench.  Looks like I will have to relegate this one to a "looker" instead of a "user" or re-thread the body and make a new screw, or?????
Andover, Vermont

Offline okieboy

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 08:04:52 PM »
 Rich, if the thread of the screw happens to be a thread in current use, whether Imperial or metric then you could reair the female thread with a Screw Thread Insert (commonlt called Helicoils) or a Keyed Threaded Insert (which are available untapped, so that any available tap could be used). Reairs made this way can made almost invisible and would be the minimal restoration. You can check these inserts out on McMaster-Carrs website under thread repair. If you need any help determining screw size, let me know and I can give you detailed instructions on how it cqan be done accurately.
Okieboy

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 08:46:46 PM »
I've got one but it's not as old.

I do have this thing that I can only guess what it is. Anyone?

timM

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2012, 09:10:36 PM »
Rich, thank you for taking the time with the additional photos!  Okieboy, great idea on a fix that would undoubtedly be stronger than new.

This wanna be leg vise stands 5" tall and the jaws are 2.25" wide and is steel. tim

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 10:00:00 PM »
Keb Mo; Second pictured item is a shot gun paper shell crimper. Used after the brass shotgun shell period "Golden Age of Shotgunning" period. AJ
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2012, 10:29:37 PM »
That was my guess. Really :/

Offline Hudnut

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2012, 11:12:51 PM »
Yes, its a roll crimper.  I use one to load black powder cartridges.  Works well.

dannybb55

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 03:43:33 AM »
Rich, thank you for taking the time with the additional photos!  Okieboy, great idea on a fix that would undoubtedly be stronger than new.

This wanna be leg vise stands 5" tall and the jaws are 2.25" wide and is steel. tim
I see it has the three dimples in the side of the jaw for Jim's bow drill, just like mine. Do you think that it came out of Wyke's catalog Jim?

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 07:04:19 AM »
Guys, 

The last vise in the photo with th red background is really a beautiful old tool.  It looks just like the one pictured in the John Wyke tool catalog from the mid 18th c.  The dimples in the side are for the use of a bow drill, check out the old thread on18th c drills to see the setup.  Another vise pictured is what we call a parallel jaw vise and I believe dates to the early 20th c.  These actually work much better that these very old ones since the jaws will stay parallel over their travel.  The 18th c ones have jaws that open/close on an angle, much like scissors, and so do not hold as well as our modern ones.

Jim Everett

dannybb55

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 04:35:45 AM »
Jim, Here's a link to a tool that you should make.
http://www.thebestthings.com/oldtools/graphics/mi111082.jpg
                 A combo tool.
                 Danny

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 06:40:47 AM »
Danny,

That is really cool, but what is it used for.  It looks like a pocket tool for small pipe threads including the reamer, tap & die.  Thanks for the link, but it will have to wait until I get back incountry.

Jim

dannybb55

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 02:21:09 PM »
Who Knows, I like the polish of the piece.