Author Topic: "Turkey" shoot at Cody WY  (Read 6212 times)

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
"Turkey" shoot at Cody WY
« on: February 05, 2012, 10:14:59 PM »
Latest addition to the Cody Plank Match

Thanks to George for providing us with a GREAT addition to the match.

For a short video click on this

« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 06:22:33 PM by Daryl »
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: "Turkey" shot at Cody WY
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 11:25:28 PM »
That is pretty cool!
Andover, Vermont

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 11:48:06 PM »
I like it!  Who wouldn't! :)

Offline wildthing

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 12:29:26 AM »
Looks like fun. How far is the shot? wildthing

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 01:47:45 AM »
I thought for a minute that was the answer to what I dreamed about the other night! Then I saw that this turkeys head does bob back and forth like a live turkey. My dream was me at a turkey match that had some type of action that moved the turkey head around to simulate a live one. Got to thinking that would be a good flintlock turkey shoot. Doubt I could hit this one much less the one that I kept trying to shoot in my dream ;D
Dennis
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 01:48:35 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 02:54:52 AM »
I thought for a minute that was the answer to what I dreamed about the other night! Then I saw that this turkeys head does bob back and forth like a live turkey. My dream was me at a turkey match that had some type of action that moved the turkey head around to simulate a live one. Got to thinking that would be a good flintlock turkey shoot. Doubt I could hit this one much less the one that I kept trying to shoot in my dream ;D
Dennis

Turkey comes up for 5 seconds. Shooter may not place his cheek on the stock until the turkey appears. Must have 1/2 ball on the target to advance.
There is a likelyhood that each go around will reduce this time in future matches to 3 then 2 seconds.
Range is 60 yards. We may adopt a 40 yard off hand rule as well.

This really is fun though I blew the second go around shot and but amused myself photographing Steve and George. George got to take the prize, a frozen turkey, home.

Dan

SPG

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 03:38:40 AM »
Gentlemen,

Here are the strings from the Feb. Cody shoot-
Turkey head, X-Center, plank rest-
Steve Garbe- 9.453"
George Marcum- 10.823"
Ron Gerondale- 12.335"
Dan Phariss- 13.172"
Wilson Crawford- 26.054"
Bob Jam- 43.508"
Jim Betters (7 shots)- 45.567"

Live Turkey target- 60 yards, plank rest, 5 seconds, on the call-
Marcum-4
Garbe- 3
Phariss- 1
Jam-0
Gerondale-0
Crawford- MF

A nice day; 40 degrees and sunny with lots of mirage. When you want a little wind to knock the mirage off a warm barrel, do you get it? Nope. Shaders had to come off as they would trap the mirage and no target could be seen at all. As it was, even the turkey paper targets looked like they were bobbing...

George Marcum's live turkey machine is threatening to preempt the whole match; it is more fun than...well, you know. The inclination is to shoot too fast...I made that mistake on the fourth round and gave the turkey to George. Everyone who shot it liked it so well that I think we may have to expand on this for the next match. Plain barrel sights are what one wants for this type of shooting...anything fancier is too slow on acquiring the target.

There were also some pretty lame turkey calls...I have heard that the target puller is going to require something other than "gobble-gobble"...time to break out the wing-bone call, I guess. Oh...another thing. If your rifle doesn't go off when the turkey head pops up, too bad; it's a "no score" just like it would be in the field. The new-fangled percussion rifles were especially bothered by this...of course, many catcalls and smart remarks followed any misfire.

For those interested, here is the equipment list-
Garbe- .45 King/Armstrong flintlock, 1-66" Douglas, .446 ball, .015 linen, sperm oil, 70-grains 3Fg Swiss, Null B priming, wiped.
Phariss- .50 Phariss flint swivel breech, 1-70" Green Mountain, .495 ball, ticking patch, tallow, not wiped.
Marcum- .45 Garbe underhammer, 1-60" Goodein, .445 ball, 70 grains 3FG Swiss, ticking, Mink oil, CCI standard caps, wiped.
Crawford- .50 T/C Hawken, .490 Speer, 60 grains Swiss 2FG, ticking, Mink oil, wiped.
Jam- .54 Lyman, 1-48", .530 ball, 70 grains 2FG Goex, ticking, Bore-Butter, CCI caps, wiped.
Gerondale- .54 Lyman, 1-60", .535 ball, 70 grains 1 1/2FG Swiss, ticking, Wonder lube, CCI caps, wiped.

An excellent match, which was re-hashed at the Proud Cut Saloon, the official headquarters of the Heart Mountain Longrifles.

Steve Garbe

Dave Faletti

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 06:26:23 AM »
Looks fun.  How wide is the target at the base?

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 07:44:31 AM »
Looks fun.  How wide is the target at the base?

The Marcum wooden turkey is 2 3/4 wide.

Dan
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 05:44:40 PM by Dphariss »

Offline trentOH

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 04:25:45 AM »
That looks suspiciously like a bullet hole near the top of the upper timber.........

Funny, I don't remember shooting near Cody, but that would certainly be my trademark.

Daryl

Re: "Turkey" shoot at Cody WY
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 06:44:45 PM »
Another fun game - Nice setup. Nice lumber too. Fir?  I'd like to see some closups of that underhammer, guys, if possible.  Thanks for the thread, Dan.

Offline Dan

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 08:11:32 PM »
You fellas are having too much fun out there in the hills.  Would like to try that one of these days, but to date my recent best results with turkeys came from the grill of a Ford F150. ;D

Vomitus

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 08:32:55 PM »
   Daryls,
   Why don't you copy this for our trail? Gosh, how much fun would this be at fifty yards off hand!?...or 75! One turkey would take about 5 or 6 shots before it is shot off. Looks like a great smoothie target! Hold the hornet nest! LOL! ;D
   It would fit right in with the "flying goose" target!