Author Topic: My first Gillisippi  (Read 4542 times)

billd

My first Gillisippi
« on: November 29, 2008, 07:53:06 PM »
Below is a link to my first attempt at a southern gun. It is a one of Dennis's guns. All is done except for final finishing.  Dennis suggested posting it here. If anyone familiar with this type of gun could look at it and let me know what you think I'd appreciate it.  I plan on building another so any mistakes on this one could be corrected on my next.

http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h98/tobyje/Gillisippi/

Thanks,
Bill

Offline RobertS

Re: My first Gillisippi
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 08:14:54 PM »
Looks great to me, and thanks for sharing the pictures!

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 10:55:31 PM »
Bill, you're doing a very nice job on your rifle.  It looks very clean and well finished. 
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 03:40:17 AM »
Nice looking rifle.  Looking forward to more photos as you finish up.
Larry Luck

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 04:34:54 AM »
Bill,
Looks like you've done a nice job to me.  Very clean inleting.  I can't wait to se ehow she looks after staining and finishing.  Are you going to add a grease hole? 
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

chuck-ia

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 05:25:51 AM »
Very nice looking rifle, and thanks for posting the pictures. I am (loosley) building a gillispie rifle, tried to stay close to the blueprint but strayed here and there. Hope mine turns out as good as yours. Just curious, did you buy the stock, and furniture from Dennis? chuck

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 06:16:18 AM »
Bill,

Based on the photos I think that you have done an excellent job! I have a young friend, Billy Harkins, at home in Union County Georgia who has made several Gillespies, and somehow I'm going to get these photos to him. (He doesn't have a computer). Dennis knows him. He and I scour the Mountains looking for original Gillespies, and so far have found 4 or 5. What you have created here falls right into place with what John and James Gillespie made in Union County before the WBTS.

I'll try tomorrow to photograph one of the Gillespies that Billy has made with an original on the bench in front of him, and you'll see that your rifle is a dead ringer!

Offline gibster

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 07:26:58 AM »
From what I see, you are doing a good job with the rifle.  Looks to have nice clean lines and good inletting.  Keep us posted with pictures of the final finish and let us know how it shoots.  Thanks for sharing.
Gibster

billd

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 07:33:38 PM »
Thanks everyone for the compliments. I'm going to try to get it stained tonight.

Chuck,  Yes I did but the components from Dennis.   

Gibster, It's a Rice barrel so I'm sure it will shoot better than I can.

Ken,  I'm sitting here now debating the grease hole. I don't think I will.

Bill

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 05:27:55 AM »
I don't know the originals well but everything looks clean.  You may be applying specific  style elements so my suggestions may be off-base.  For a generic longrifel I'd say:
1) Perhaps show a little more barrel; trim 1/16" or so from the top of the forestock.
2) Maybe lower the top of the sideplate panel so the upper edge lines up with the corner of the barrel flats and also slope the panel more evenly toward the rear (top line of side plate "lock panel").
Beautiful work so far.
Andover, Vermont