Author Topic: C. Baum and Joe Long  (Read 2803 times)

Offline Don Getz

C. Baum and Joe Long
« on: February 12, 2012, 05:01:37 AM »
A friend of ours stopped at the barrel shop on friday.   Had two guns he recently purchased, I use that word loosely, he
actually "stole" them.    One was an Unsigned Joe Long, very unusual, because he normally signed them, and he bought
it way too cheap.    The other gun he had was a swivel breech, percussion, made and signed on the one barrel "C. Baum,
Pottsville, Pa.   I was always thought he worked in New Berlin, Pa. with Samuel Baum.  It had a back action lock, brass
formed panels out along both sides of the barrels, beautiful condition.   The general architecture....had a straight comb
and straight underline of the bottom of the butt, definately not shapd like an upper susquehanna gun.   A real nice gun............Don

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
Re: C. Baum and Joe Long
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 06:26:46 AM »
Don: and he pictures????

Offline Loudy

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 07:00:21 AM »

Don,

It was great to see you at the Lewisburg show.  It was a great event.  Well worth the long drive.  Charles Baum made some great guns.  Dalas Ewing believed that Charles was the son of Samuel Baum Sr.  In the 1850 Census Charles was listed as a resident of Pottsville in Shuykill County, PA.  Before 1850 he showed up int the tax lists for New Berlin, Union County, PA. He had a son Jacob that also worked as a gunsmith.  From the records it appears that Charles died sometime before 1860.  Below is the information I've been able to compile so far regarding Charles Baum.  I hope you find the information helpful.  I also hope someone else here on the forum will add some additional details regarding this interesting gunsmith.  Almost forgot, there was another gunsmith named Charles M. Baum that worked in Vermillion County, IL.  He might have been related, but he was not the same person.   

Mark Loudenslager

Charles Baum
Born:  abt. 1807 Pennsylvania
Died:  Probably before 1860. 

Charles Baum is listed in the Union County tax records as a gunsmith in New Berlin in 1832, 1835, 1841, and 1846.  In 1850 he was a resident of Schuykill County.  He employed two men and had a monthly payroll of $47.  He purchased 40 gun barrels for $60; gunlocks for $44; and other supplies for $38.  The guns he made were valued at $1,200 (Ref. U.S. Census of Industry).   

Dalas Ewing felt that Charles Baum was the son of gunsmith Samuel Baum.

Charles Baum married Maria Hummel.  She was the daughter of Captain Jacob Hummel, who served in the War of 1812.  Maria Hummel was born March 28, 1816 and died March 2, 1891.  She is buried at the Hummel Family Cemetery in Hummel’s Wharf, Monroe Township, Snyder County, PA, just north of Selinsgrove.   

1850 Federal Census, Pennsylvania, Schuykill County, Pottsville Boro, Northeast Ward
Charles Baum, age 43, occupation “Gun Smith”, living with wife Maria age 34 and son Jacob age 18, also listed as a “Gun Smith”, and children James age 16, Ella age 7, Anna age 5, and Alice age <1. 

1860 Federal Census, Pennsylvania, Snyder County, Penns Township, Selinsgrove
Maria Baum, age 44, is living with daughters Ella 17, Anna 15 and Alice age 10.
Note: Husband Charles Baum is not listed. 

1880 Federal Census, Pennsylvania, Snyder County, Monroe Township, District 145, p. 1
Maria Baum, age 60 Widow, “Housekeeper”; Jacob Baum, age 44 single son “Gunsmith”

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 04:37:04 PM »
Sounds like a cool story,,,, but it's only hearsay without,,,, Pictures!  ;D

John
John Robbins