Author Topic: Help with L&R Bailes  (Read 5170 times)

MeatStick

Help with L&R Bailes
« on: February 08, 2012, 03:46:35 AM »
While taking apart the lock I dropped the fly and did not get to see which way the bevel was. The L&R site warns to take note of how it is positioned but states nothing further for those of us who didn't . A hand drawn picture would be great or picture of the fly in positon... Thanks.

Offline Long Ears

Re: Help with L&R Bailes
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 04:43:13 AM »
I guess I'm lost. If it was assembled and the bevel already filed how can it go in any differently? Sorry can't follow ya. Bob

Offline b bogart

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 04:51:14 AM »
Hey Mr Stick, email the boys at L&R. I have had nothing but outstanding support from them. They even replaced a fly I messed up.
Oh and Bob the fly fits over a post on the tumbler, and can be put on either way, correctly or incorrectly!

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 04:54:00 AM »
Thanks, I knew it had to be different that what I was used to. Gotta see one some day. Bob

MeatStick

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 05:07:54 AM »
Hey Mr Stick, email the boys at L&R. I have had nothing but outstanding support from them. They even replaced a fly I messed up.
Oh and Bob the fly fits over a post on the tumbler, and can be put on either way, correctly or incorrectly!
Thanks, I got back on their site and sent an e-mail.

Online FALout

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 05:12:50 AM »
I seem to always forget which way the fly goes also.  I just put it on, install the sear and move it to see.  One way the fly doesn't allow to skip over the half notch.  Put it in both ways and turn the tumbler, you'll see which is the correct way.  As for memorizing it, not enough brain cells left for that even though I like using L&R locks.
Bob

Offline elk killer

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 04:23:25 PM »
guy brought one into my shop yesterday,,it would catch on the half cock notch every time,,
turned the fly around ,,works perfect now.. ;D
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 04:56:06 AM »
Meat,

I can't remember either.  Unfortunately, it's behind the tumbler, so I can't just look..... sorry.

AND congratulations, you've just got your first indoctrination into gun building.

Try one way, see if it works, if not, turn it around.
In His grip,

Dane

MeatStick

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 05:37:15 AM »
Got an email from L&R with a picture, I'll put that in my binder. I had already had it reassembled and once I looked at it for a minute I figured it out.

jlynn

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 05:58:49 AM »
I use L&R locks a lot when I need small locks (Manton) With the lock still assembled, I can see a small part of the fly and I always mark it with a fine black felt tip before disassembly. When I later reassemble, I place the fly soI can see the small ink dot and I am good to go without thinking too hard which is good at my age.  If using a single trigger I just take it out-put it in a plastic tube for when I lose one-which I have

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 06:10:41 PM »
Wouldn't it be wonderful if the L&R guys got smart and put a little directional on that thing? A small little dimple is all it would take....a dimple on the outside would easily mean that this side goes out as opposed to against the tumbler......

Sure would be assembly a lot easier........

Dave K

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 09:50:42 PM »
Believe me, you are not alone int trying to figure out the direction the fly is to go. There has been so good advice given here to help. As far as marking them so you can't mess up the way it goes.How about making the fly like on a Chambers lock. Then there is only one way to put it on.

MeatStick

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 06:04:43 AM »

Well if anyone needs it in the future, print this out and pin it up.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 06:29:01 AM »
If you become familiar with how a fly functions, it becomes clear the direction it should be assembled.  Slowly work the lock and pay attention to what the fly does.  Once this is understood, there won't be any confusion.

Jim