Author Topic: longer barrels  (Read 5833 times)

Offline Eric Smith

longer barrels
« on: February 09, 2012, 05:03:40 PM »
All the barrel supplers that I have seen online carry the standard 38", 42", and 44". Are there suppliers with longer barrels?
Eric Smith

Offline flehto

Re: longer barrels
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 05:13:58 PM »
Rice has 46" bbls....Fred

ERH

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 05:19:02 PM »
bobby hoyt will make them as long as you want up to 60"

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 06:23:22 PM »
Getz and Ed Rayl makes great barrels in custom lengths as well.  You will have to order one, but they will do about any profile you need

Guy

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 07:07:43 PM »
As will Charles Burton, see his catalog in the ALR Members for sale forum.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 08:28:16 PM »
Long Hammock also has longer barrels
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 05:32:16 AM »
Howard Kelley, who is always across from the Armory at Friendship, also makes longer barrels.  At least 48", maybe longer.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 06:37:56 AM »
If you get too long of a barrel, other builders get 'barrel envy'.....be careful.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Dogshirt

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 07:56:04 AM »
If you get too long of a barrel, other builders get 'barrel envy'.....be careful.

Why are you looking at another man's barrel? ;)

Offline JDK

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 04:43:11 PM »
I have heard that the longer the barrel you have the more difficulty you will have with getting wood.   ;) ;D
J.D. Kerstetter

mattdog

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 05:17:07 PM »
I have heard that the longer the barrel you have the more difficulty you will have with getting wood.   ;) ;D

Not to mention finding a vehicle that it will fit in.  I can just barely get my 42" barreled rifle to fit cross wize in my Silverado's back seat.  Anything longer would have to go in the bed or on the roof.

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 05:24:26 PM »
I was just noticing that many of the guns in ROCA are longer than the 44 " barrels that are available at the main supplyers. Don't Think I would want a 60" barrel. A 48 " would be about the longest I would consider owning or building. What got me started wondering was that my wood supplier ( who has a very good rep )  sent me two stock blanks, one is 60 1/2 inches and one is 66 inches. One is marked quarter saw and one is not. I know what quarter sawn means, but does it mean anything if one is not marked?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 05:55:06 PM by E. Smith »
Eric Smith

Offline James Wilson Everett

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 05:59:18 PM »
Guys,

Good advise about the wood!  I was able to buy a fairly decent piece of curly maple from e-bay that was long enough to accept a 56" barrel - so I made the barrel to fit the wood!  Sort of backwards, but I have been accused of worse.  It is so long (6 feet overall), but it does get attention at the shooting range.

Jim

Offline JDK

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 07:40:16 PM »
Humor is lost on some people. ;)

Guys,

Good advise about the wood!  I was able to buy a fairly decent piece of curly maple from e-bay that was long enough to accept a 56" barrel - so I made the barrel to fit the wood!  Sort of backwards, but I have been accused of worse.  It is so long (6 feet overall), but it does get attention at the shooting range.

Jim
My Dad once bought a pistol for a holster he really liked...so you are not too far off base.  J.D.K.

J.D. Kerstetter

Offline t.caster

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 08:12:37 PM »
In response to E. Smith....If the wood is not marked 1/4 sawn, it is considered slab or board cut, with growth rings running mostly vertical looking at the end grain. Qtr. sawn is considered horizontal (perfect) up to 45 degrees.
Without getting into a long discussion, both will work fine for a longrifle.
Tom C.