Author Topic: hooked breech fowler build pending  (Read 4218 times)

ddoyle

hooked breech fowler build pending
« on: February 10, 2012, 05:33:51 AM »
I ordered up a hooked breech 20 ga barrel and am having a blank inletted for it and am now in the process of putting together a parts order. This is not destined to be a historically accurate build but I am aiming for at least the beauty and style of a french fowler.

I have found a couple pics on the net of french fowlers with hooked breeches and wedges but not as many as I'd hoped. The one I found did not use escutcheons. Does anyone have any suggestions/ideas/warnings  on building  a slim  attractive  fowler with wedges with or with out escutcheons? This is going to be a plain iron mounted utility gun but i'd like it to be easy on the eye.

Another question that has been plaguing me (unrelated to this build) is where does a guy get a 'grotesque mask" front sight???? I see them on guns but try as I might I cannot find them for sale on line. Is there some secret source for these and nice turtle castings?

Thanks

Offline Chris Treichel

Re: hooked breech fowler build pending
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 04:54:43 PM »
The log cabin shop had the turtle front sight on their rack of sights by the counter...  As for grotesque mask... I remember seeing one at Dixons two years ago that was a face with the nose projecting as the sight blade... 

Just found it... they also have the turtle front sight as well as a grotesque face ...

Muzzle Loading Builders Supply 32322 - Old Man Silver front sight
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 05:32:22 PM by Chris Treichel »

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 06:21:52 PM »
ddoyle,

Searching online auction catalogs would be a good idea.  Bonhams, Christies, Thomas Delmar, Herman Historica come to mind.  It will take time to sort through everything and learn, but it will likely help you learn.  Also, printed reference material will be of benefit.  The book, The French Trade Gun in North America might be of help.  I would suggest to take your time, study a lot and get a plan before starting your project.  Good luck.

Jim

Vomitus

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 07:14:59 PM »
For a few more ideas,check this site. I really like his American Fowler/Brit influence.Hooked breach.Have a look.
http://claysmithguns.com/fowlers.htm

Gary Collins

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 01:25:44 AM »
stanhollenbaughgunsmith.com  has a front sight on his website under custom parts
Gary

new spelling on site
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 03:25:15 AM by Gary Collins »

ddoyle

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 02:07:53 AM »
Thanks a whole big bunch for the valuable leads and advice. I appreciate the help. I agree studying and planning needs to be a front end task. Seems no matter how much I think I might understand these guns there is always an epiphany around the next corner. Hence the fun!

ddoyle

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 02:15:41 AM »
BTW that Blue trade gun at Claysmith's site has inspired a whole new build! Thanks

Steve-In

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 05:26:59 PM »
While not a single barrel this French double my give you some inspiration.
http://www.sitemason.com/page/cJBdIY
I can'toffer advice on the wedge but I do not believe the escutcheons would add strength, they just keep the wood from chipping out.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 06:52:37 PM »
I just finished a long skinny hooked breech fowling piece (46" barrel) with barrel keys and no escutcheons.... Be very careful and fine D Taylor Sapergia's tutorial on how to install barrel keys...

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 10:48:46 PM by Dr. Tim-Boone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Daryl

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 07:24:34 PM »
For a few more ideas,check this site. I really like his American Fowler/Brit influence.Hooked breach.Have a look.
http://claysmithguns.com/fowlers.htm

That is nice, LB - same with the English fowler below it.

ddoyle

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 07:48:37 PM »
Thank you for the pics, that is wonderful example of mute beauty and utility.  The photo showing the transition of forearm thickness at the ram rod entry is something I will certainly be keeping.  I will find that tutorial.