Author Topic: Which powder to use in a flintlock?  (Read 7718 times)

Martin_G

Which powder to use in a flintlock?
« on: February 10, 2012, 11:39:58 PM »
Instead of using one grade of powder to prime the pan and another for the main charge, is there any benefit to using one grade for both uses?

This is for use with RB's in a .54 flint lock.

Thanks,

Martin

Offline SCLoyalist

Re: Which powder to use in a flintlock?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 12:11:22 AM »
The most obvious benefit is one less granulation of powder and one less powder dispenser to carry around.    I think I've seen some test results by Larry Pletcher which does show some ignition time advantages to using a finer priming powder, so that would be a disadvantage to priming from the horn.

blunderbuss

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 12:21:23 AM »

The difference in the time useing 2,3 or4 f is very tiny .Several times I have substituted ffg for priming while hunting (because I left my ffffg at the house) and not noticed the difference. I do carry 4f but add to it "Dry Powder" to keep the priming dry on wet days it works very well.

Offline mark esterly

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 01:24:58 AM »
i shoot .44, .50 and .58 cal. and use 3f in everything and prime with same.  years ago i primed with 4f.  forgot it once and used 3f from the horn and didn't notice any difference .  my brain needs things as simple as possible
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

Daryl

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 02:57:04 AM »
I use 4F for prime as does most everyone I shoot with. I prefer it due to the fact I know for a fact that it is faster and faster means a more accurate shot.  Whether or not I prove that when shooting, it is something I do not have to prove to myself as I know it is faster.  It ignites faster (easier to ignite) and produces heat faster than the other granulations, so for me, it's best to use the best. I need all the help I can get.

I see no disadvantge carrying a priming horn,not do I see a disadvantage using a short starter. They are items I use and I'm not all hung up on being period or histroically correct. You can usually tell that by the rifles I shoot and the way I dress.

The other DWS

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 04:07:45 AM »
I once showed up for a ML hunt with my typical re-enactor gear and was told in no uncertain terms "its a hunt!!! not a #@**#@+!! fashion show!!!".  there's a time and place for both modes;  and lots of room in between

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 04:11:48 AM »
Daryl, in all the photos I have seen of you it appears you are ready to shovel snow!   ;D

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 04:34:30 AM »
Like Daryl I like 4fg in the pan. While I seldom can hear the difference, it does provide measurably shorter time between pan ignition and barrel ignition. Gives me less time to wobble around.

But I have two other reasons for liking 4f in a flat priming horn. First I can work 4f into a vent to fire a dry balled gun. It happens on woods walks and I can usually help the shooter. I have done this once or twice. 

My best reason is that it's easier for me. I have nerve trouble in my right hand. It's easier to grab a flat horn from my hip pocket than to handle my main horn and stopper twice.

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 06:21:35 AM »
I like using FFFFG in the pan , but I'm moving more, and more to FFFG for everything up to .62 Cal/20 gauge. One horn/flask fits all.  FFFFg may be faster, but if the locks tuned right there's no way I can tell, nor can anyone else.
The older I get the simpler the better.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Martin_G

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 08:14:19 AM »
To quote a line Gary Cooper said in the movie "Sgt. York", Y'all have given me a powerful lot to think about" !

I guess I'll have to get a couple grades of powder and experiment and see what load or loads the rifle like best.

Thanks everyone,

Martin

excess650

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 04:50:43 PM »
Instead of using one grade of powder to prime the pan and another for the main charge, is there any benefit to using one grade for both uses?  This is for use with RB's in a .54 flint lock.

Thanks,
Martin

IF I could only have one grade for the barrel and pan, it would be fffg.  I CAN and do have several granualtions and brands of BP, so would choose ffg for the barrel and ffffg for the pan.

There are certain localities that only allow small quantities of BP to be stored, like 3-5#.

Martin_G

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 08:57:43 PM »
I'll try and find out today how much powder can be kept at home today. Should I call the state DNR or someone else?

I know that most members probably have their favorite powder or powders. In general, what is usually considered to be the #1 powder going by performance & reliability?

Thanks,

Martin

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 07:15:28 AM »
In Indiana, I think it is twenty-five pounds.  Not certain about that though. 

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 07:44:11 AM »
I think you will find that in most of the paper punching matches that alot of shooters prefer Swiss powder and alot of them use Null B for priming powder. That said, you wont probably be able to tell the difference between Null B and 3f when your out in the field hunting, but as Daryl says in his post if you know that one particular powder is better you will have the advantage of more confidence in your shot. This is not to say Your cocky, just confident, and there is a difference. If you already have some 4f, use that.    Smylee

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 05:14:11 PM »
I started using 4f priming powder more than 40 years ago when I had my old Dixie Gun works rifle that had a straight drill vent hole. I could really notice a difference then. Today with my new rifles with vent liners I don't know if the difference would be as noticable. I do think the 4f powder in the pan fouls the pan and frizzen much less and at the range. Friday at the range firing many shots (about a pound of powder) had only 2 misfires due to dirty frizen, just a quick wipe and recock and boom. I've primed with 2f, 3f, but I think I'll keep using 4F.

The other DWS

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2012, 05:36:56 PM »
State fire codes may specify limits of BP powder, and all sorts of other things.  but there may be other local rules in place.  IN most areas local regs can be stiffer than the state, but not looser.   You can contact your local firechief/fire inspector  (using someone else's name ;D) but bear in mind that there are other agencies who can also regulate who stores what, where and how much.   OSHA, ATF HSA etc.

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2012, 01:08:48 AM »
Goex was more readily available when and where I started in the sport ($2.95 a pound IIRC).

All my guns use Goex FFg for the main charge and the flinters use Goex FFFFg in the pan.  Even when shooting a per-suction gun, I take my priming tool w/ FFFFg in it.

TC
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 01:09:48 AM by TCompton »
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Daryl

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2012, 01:45:12 AM »
Incidently, with a short testing span, you can have accuracy loads with both 3f and 2F for a single rifle, no matter the calibre - from .36 to .50 at least.  I know some guys use 3f in .50's, .54's and .58's while I don't. I do have accuracy loads for both my .40 and .45 with both 3f and 2F.  The accuracy loads strike the same point of impact and make identical group sizes, so if I'm running low on 3F, I merely go up 10gr. weight of charge and switch to 2F. As I noted earlier, my pans get 4f - if I have it, which is about 99% of the time.

Offline Kopfjaeger

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 05:56:19 AM »
I use 3F in all my flintlocks.  I do use 4F in the pan, and 3F in the barrel.  But I like 3F because if I ever run out of 4F priming powder while hunting or I forget my priming powder I can use the 3F and personally I haven't noticed much difference with 3F or 4F in the pan.
" A godly man and his rifle deprive sleep from the wicked, A christian man who prays is the defeater of evil, A praying man who will fight is the conqueror of nations and the hope of the oppressed "