Author Topic: Has anybody heard of a maker named Kirkbride of Millerstown?  (Read 2513 times)

tabs

Has anybody heard of a maker named Kirkbride of Millerstown?
« on: February 11, 2012, 12:33:04 AM »
There are so many makers that I have never heard of, and information is scarce to non existant. I recently bought a very nice percussion LR in 45 cal m in the Bedford style made by Kirkbride of  Millerstown. What I would like to know is when he was active in making rifles and any other general info about him.

This rifle also features a Wiliam Large 45 cal Barrel. That is marked  W. M.
                                                                                                    LARGE
No marks at end of Barrel. The question about Wm Large was answered in previous posts.

Further the rifle has a Bedford style Per. Lock that is profusily engraved, with a Squirel running down a branch located just under the Drum & Nipple. Possibly a Sutter although there are NO makers marks on the lock either front nor back only a 25 stamped on the reverse. . It does appear to be handcrafted.

The Patch box is steel and brass wt an Eagle with a fish in its Talons..also profusily engraved. It also has some nice brass wire enlay just forward of the PB. Left side of the rifle has excised Vining C scrolls..all on a tightly figured Maple stock.

Based upon the Patch Box volumes, I have seen a PB that is very similar to the one featured on the Kirkbride rifle listed under the name Peter W. one thinks that is a Bedford maker (Kaufman) by the name of Peter White. Thus I think that the Kirkbride rifle is a copy of a Peter White rifle that he had seen?

If I knew how to posts pics of the rifle on this site I would do so...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 01:36:29 AM by tabs »

Offline Longknife

Re: Has anybody heard of a maker named Kirkbride of Millerstown?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 07:21:44 PM »
Ed Hamberg

Sutter

Re: Has anybody heard of a maker named Kirkbride of Millerstown?
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 06:01:04 AM »
Longknife, I happen to be the granddaughter of W.G. Sutter. The  locks with a number stamped on the reverse happen to be cast locks. My dad knows of a Kirkbride that used to hang out @ my grandfathers gun shop & he made gun's...Not sure if this is the Kirkbride you are searching for??? He did move to Alaska years ago & I believe recently move back to the states...He still is occasionally in contact with my Uncle.

Also ran the name Peter White passed my dad & he knew of him also. I will try to find out more information that might help you. Just wish I could get my dad or one of his siblings on here to talk with people!!! But they are all old school LOL!!!