Author Topic: Longrifle building today  (Read 14191 times)

Offline Pete G.

Re: Longrifle building today
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2012, 03:05:04 AM »
Whereas investments castings are certainly a boon, many of the old shops seem to have also purchased locks barrels and foundry parts, so the modern builder is not too terribly different in that respect. I think the largest difference is the information exchange, the availability of a multitude of parts, and the diversity of building styles . 100 years from now how many of our works will be able to be identified by a distinct style like a Beck or Dickert is today? Herschel's work, to be sure, but most of the rest build a variety of styles that probably could not be identified without a signature. Also the quality of work looks to be above that of the run of the mill smith of 200 years ago. They just didn't turn out the super guns that we see today. Not that they couldn't, but money was much more scarce and the demand just did not seem to be there.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2012, 03:13:32 AM »
Whereas investments castings are certainly a boon, many of the old shops seem to have also purchased locks barrels and foundry parts, so the modern builder is not too terribly different in that respect.

Yes, but someone must make the locks, even if the gunbuilder today is purchasing them.  I would hate to think what a lock would cost today without investment casting technology.  One thing for sure there would be dramatically fewer guns being built today without this benefit.

Jim

Burgess_rudy

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2012, 03:27:43 AM »
Interesting topic. Since the average lifespan in the 18th century was about 47 years of age, many never lived to need close-up glasses. Most had limited schooling so they would have started their trade as a very young man which kind of shifts the time span a little.

These of course are generalities. I'll add :

Indoor plumbing.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2012, 03:57:49 AM »

Yes, but someone must make the locks, even if the gunbuilder today is purchasing them.  I would hate to think what a lock would cost today without investment casting technology.  One thing for sure there would be dramatically fewer guns being built today without this benefit.

Jim

Absolutely, I agree 100%. I was looking at what techniques the gunmaker uses to arrive at the finished product.

Now, do pre carves fall into the same catagory as cast locks?

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2012, 04:31:28 AM »

Jim

Absolutely, I agree 100%. I was looking at what techniques the gunmaker uses to arrive at the finished product.

Now, do pre carves fall into the same catagory as cast locks?

I don't really see precarves as a necesity for longrifle building today.  Building a longrifle from a blank is well within the reach of many people, while making a lock or paying big bucks would likely be a show stopper.

Offline b bogart

« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2012, 06:37:14 AM »
I'll agree that stock making is doable but scratching a lock or forging a barrel is a BIG DEAL BREAKER for a guy like me.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2012, 06:50:39 PM »
What benefits are there today that make the process of  longrifle building easier than in the 18th century? 

I am a little late on this but how about books, classes, knowledgeable builders that are willing to share, give constructive criticism and advice. Also tutorials on the web, not to mention the ALR.

Tim C.

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2012, 07:24:24 PM »
I'll add a few things..............

The internet by far has had a great imopact on this craft as we can easily see the works of others, learn by viewing, establish meeting times to exchange items and ideas and to see what was then as compared to what is now.

As for lock making and parts manufacture I often wonder how the water wheel was used to drive machines, that is simple drill presses or a simple lathe. Early man knew how to harness the power of a flowing river by establishing mills to process goods such as grain, lumber and other things. Why wouldn't a mill be harnessed to drive machines run off of a drive shaft with belting?

By and far the ease of obtaining  ready made items such as locks and barrels is in my view the the greatest difference between then and now...

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2012, 08:01:35 PM »
This goes a little beyond where Jim was headed, but Jim probably knows this better than most.  Most of what we are doing as builders, whether hobby or professionally, could now be done on CNC machines to a level of mechanical perfection beyond our current standards of fitting.  And it could be done in mass with just one good facility replacing all of us with a handful of workers. Pedersoli , Beretta, and a host of others come to mind.  Even the artwork of carving and engraving can be mass produced.  The only thing limiting this production is lack of a large enough market to justify the outlay in costs to program CNC machines which are already being employed in the firearms production.  The guys in the high grade double gun market endlessly lament this issue.   

Builders who learn the full skills of the trade using the old methods are those most likely to make a living at building longrifles/fowlers.  Our sport/hobby is dependent on nostalgia and the thought our longrifle was built by Gepetto may be it's greatest asset.   

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2012, 09:17:38 PM »
"Builders who learn the full skills of the trade using the old methods are those most likely to make a living at building longrifles/fowlers.  Our sport/hobby is dependent on nostalgia and the thought our longrifle was built by Gepetto may be it's greatest asset."

Or by that strange old @$#% that lives down the road.................   
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming