Author Topic: Original Fullstock Hawken on M. Simons  (Read 7757 times)

Offline Majorjoel

Original Fullstock Hawken on M. Simons
« on: February 14, 2012, 07:07:59 PM »
I thought this rifle pictured would be of interest to some here on this site. It has been sold so I do not know what the asking price was. http://michaelsimens.com/Kentucky_Rifles_Powder_Horns_Bowie_Knives_accessories.asp
Joel Hall

Offline LynnC

Re: Original Fullstock Hawken on M. Simons
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 07:45:49 PM »
I love the Leonard Reedy pair of  pistols down the page!

Thanx for the link - enjoyed it much..............Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 08:05:41 PM »
I understand that full stock Hawkens are rare.  Is this the case? 
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Swampwalker

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 08:56:12 PM »
Seems I've been seeing more fullstocks than halfstocks lately- I don't thing they're particularly rare.  According to the literature, the fullstock was cheaper than the halfstock versions originally.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 01:00:32 AM »
Rob,
I've seen a couple of Hawken fullstocks but would definitley say they are fewer and farther between than the half stocks, and a lot more costly.
Mark
Mark

Offline Tom Moore

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 06:21:40 PM »
"On Hold" Dang! Just when I had a bazillion dollars to spend too!  ;D

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 06:54:55 PM »
Out of curiosity, anyone know what that rifle sold for? Or what the going rate for original Hawken rifles is in general?
Joel Hall

GrampaJack

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 12:58:04 AM »
He is located only a few miles from me but I have never heard that he has a place where you can just walk in and see his stuff.  Ofcourse, most of what he sells is kind of out of my league so it would just amount to drooling any way.  I got to look into that sometime. That Hawken is very nice. Jack

Offline Longknife

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 11:39:47 PM »

Out of curiosity, anyone know what that rifle sold for? Or what the going rate for original Hawken rifles is in general?

I just researched Hawken rifles recently as I have discovered a rifle, marked on the top barrel flat, behind the rear sight,   " S. HAWKEN  ST. LOUIS " . It appears to be a classic heavy, walnut half stock, double keyed plains rifle in untouched, original condition and it is apparently virtually unknown to collectors and has never been published or photographed (except for the ones that I took).  More on that later. Here are some prices that I found in my internet search....Ed

$29,3277.50  (includes buyer premium)
http://www.icollector.com/Rare-Hawken-Percussion-Full-Stock-Plain-Rifle-with-History_i9752125

$37,375.00  (found price on another site)

http://www.artfact.com/auction-lot/exceptionally-rare-s.-hawken-st.-louis-plains-rif-1-c-2d6b7d64d9

And last but NOT least:

$54,510.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.skinnerinc.com/asp/fullcatalogue.asp?salelot=2506+++++444+&refno=++854860&image=4

These are neat too but I can't find a price realized: Est' $40 to $80 thou......

http://www.auctionflex.com/showlot.ap?co=44344&weiid=5073272&lang=En

« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 12:27:58 AM by Longknife »
Ed Hamberg

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 02:26:11 AM »
Thanks a bunch Ed! Now my curiosity has been fully quenched!  I look forward to your pictures and wish you the best in your quest.........Joel
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 02:39:09 AM by Majorjoel »
Joel Hall

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 03:58:24 AM »
I know of an exceptionally nice, classic halfstock Plains rifle, that sold for $75,000 a couple of years ago.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 08:00:14 AM by Curt J »

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 08:15:29 AM »
A fair number of Hawken rifles seem to have stayed home, or pretty close to home. I have no details to give on this, but sometime ago, there was talk about the existence of a near new Hawken with the name W. J. Fetterman written on it. I did not see the gun and do not know where it is today, but it may well have belonged to Lt. Wm J. Fetterman of the 1860s 'Massacre'.
I have heard that the guns made for the local trade tended to be of a smaller caliber, and sometime were
not so heavy. Wonder if that is true? Great rifles that the Hawken shop produced! Wish I had one.
Dick 

oakridge

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 08:46:24 PM »
The Hawkens made a lot of smaller caliber, lighter weight rifles probably more for the local trade, that would fall into the sporting or squirrel rifle category. Many were brass mounted, instead of iron mounted like most of the big guns. Although desirable, they don't demand nearly the attention, or prices that the heavy plains rifles do.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 10:30:04 PM »
There were Hawken made guns other than the classic heavy rifles with the long trigger bars we think of when the name "Hawken"is mentioned. John Baird's book,"Hawken Rifle,the Mountain Man's Choice: has a chapter devoted to them. I have copy #3 of that from 1968 given to me by John Baird and autographed "Friendship,1968". I am mentioned in it and some of my work is pictured along with that of Bill Large.
Tom Dawson and John Baird did a lot of traveling and researching historical data for this book and did it in the days before the internet was even dreamed of. Both are now deceased as is Bill Large and others who contributed to the production of this book.
Dawson made replica Hawken rifles that were stunning in detail by the way he built in all the mistakes and accidents that befell the gun being copied. His copy of the Modena Hawken was and is a masterpiece and I took 3rd with it in a 130 yard offhand match at Friendship with the sun in my eyes.
I don't know if the two books Baird published are still available or not. The other one was
"Fifteen Years in the Hawken Lode".
Both Dawson and Baird lost all interest in the Hawken and I think Baird went into publishing and Dawson I know was heavy into English double rifles at the time of his sudden death in March of 1989.
Baird developed a hideous form of dementia and something called Lewy Body Disease. His wife told me he was building a home made airplane using some kind of a Mercedes-Benz engine and he knew nothing about flying any plane. I think he paseed about 8 years ago.

Bob Roller 

Offline rsells

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 08:46:30 PM »
I agree with smokinbuck that the full stock rifles seem to be more rare than the half stock.  I went on a trip a couple years ago specifically to look at as many original Hawken rifles I could.   Out of twelve originals I looked at only one was a full stock.  There are several books that have reference data on full stocks, but I was not able to see that many in the flesh that were full stock.  Each and every one of them sparked my interest more for the Hawken rifle.  Great looking well built pieces of history.
                                                                                     Roger Sells