Author Topic: Lubes  (Read 5686 times)

Offline varsity07840

Lubes
« on: November 30, 2008, 06:26:40 PM »
With all the posts on the subject recently, I'd like to get some opinions on the mink oil lube that Track sells.

Duane

Daryl

Re: Lubes
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 08:25:22 PM »
I've been using it since abotu 1984 for hunting in very chilly weather on the Special Weapon's hunt for moose here in the North.  Taylor myself and another friend were out tramping through the snow on one hunt almost -50. The mink oil will get a bit stiff in that weather, but softens immediately you touch it with fingers.
 It works quite well and probably good for your leather boots as well to keep the leather soft and plyant.  I like it.

JohnnyM

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 10:41:09 PM »
Pure, rendered mink oil or tallow as Track calls it works great for hunting.  I use it or bear grease, exclusively for huntin'.
Regards,
Johnny

Offline Collector

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 02:51:36 AM »
JohnnyM,  Sounds awfully familiar.  You wouldn't perchance be the JohnnyM that shoots an Allen Martin Lehigh piece, crafts award winning (Dixons') powder measures and writes poetry, from time-to-time?  Welcome to the ALR forums!

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 10:37:17 AM »
I have a couple of rifles that seem to prefer  a 'grease-type' patch lube. Mink oil  is  my choice. I have shot all day (summer and winter) without cleaning between shots  and  no buildup or hard fouling. It does not leave a glaze in the bore like I found with  Bore Butter.
Gene

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 07:43:37 PM »
Gene- you have found the 'secret' that we seem to have dificulty passing on - snug patches and proper crowning to allow them for easy loading.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 08:22:44 PM »
Gene, I've been using Bore Butter for a couple years cause I won some once and it worked for all occasions. But I will try mink oil soon, like you say. It is probably cheaper to buy and easier to find as well. I have a jar on hand already.

BTW, did you ever call that contact I gave you for a bear hunt?
Tom C.

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 10:37:26 PM »
I'm sorry, Tom - private message to you.

Daryl

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 10:44:57 PM »
I just cooked some lube to try out. Beeswax/Olive oil and a couple ounces of Neesfoot oil., making up about 10 ounces all together. I figure it's about 40% beeswax, 30% olive oil , 30% neetsfoot oil. It feels as it it might be OK but a bit thick for patches - maybe - I may have to add more oil.  Actually, it's consistancy looks as it it might be a winter shooting bullet lube - softer than most or any of the comercial stuff - which may be needed in cold weather.  I'll try it out on both and report. At room temp of 62F (shop) it's solidified, but fairly soft.

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 06:01:51 AM »
I tried Tracks 'Mink Oil' one time and I liked it.  I normally use the TC Bore Butter and I like it also. 

I think the Bore Butter patch has a better flavor when I lick the lubed patch with spit before loading, then what the Mink Oil lubed patches have... :o  I know, old habits die hard... ;D

Offline Old Stoney

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 11:01:58 AM »
Daryl, I've been using the 40/60 beeswax and olive oil for about 4 years now for a hunting lube and my gun shoots great with it.  I'm not sure how it will be in the below zero weather you have there but in the area I'm in it works great. I have one rifle that likes it better than any of my other lubes.
D Crisp

JohnnyM

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 05:00:51 PM »
To Mr. G.Hansen,
Yeah, sho 'nuff.  But don' hold thet agin' me.
JohnnyM