Author Topic: QUESTION FOR YOU AVID HUNTERS  (Read 15560 times)

Offline walt53

Re: QUESTION FOR YOU AVID HUNTERS
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2012, 08:17:41 PM »
I think with what we have in our woods the 45 is gonna be my choice.NOW does anyone know where one could get a 54 smooth bore that would fit the same as the TCHAWKEN IBS 15/16 ACROSS THE FLATES.WITH that i think my quest would be final and the fun could begin.Again thanks so much for all your thoughts and replys they are gracisly appreciated.
  WALT

huckfinn

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2012, 11:07:36 PM »
This site says the photo of the wolf isn't a fake.  That it is a wolf that may weight 130 pounds next to a rather short man.  Also says that when a wolf is held up this way it looks larger.   
http://www.timberwolfinformation.org/?p=8436

Daryl

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2012, 02:25:07 AM »
Here's some info from a Pat in Oregon who seems to know what he's talking about.

The properties embedded in this photo show no revisions. It was taken with a Motorola C320 cell phone on 5/16/2009 at 4:39:58 pm. Resolution is 480×640 and 58kb which is typical of cell phone pictures. No revision date is in the picture indicating it has not been changed.
 It is my opinion that this is a true picture but I will stop short of guessing how big the wolf is. Too many variables. I modify pictures all the time for various reasons and the changes always show up in the properties.
 P.S.> Not all versions of this picture show any properties because of the way they are copied to the web. Originals are out there though. I was curious too.

Offline FL-Flintlock

• Fire & Iron Mfg.
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2012, 03:24:19 AM »
Just because a critter looks big in a picture, it may really be as big as it appears.

We raise Flemish Giant Rabbits, ours only average 19-26 pounds, but some do get rather large.  The fellow in the first picture was accused of doctoring the photo until his bunny was weighed in at more than 40 pounds.  The other two pic's are just random to reinforce the point that all pictures aren't photoshopped and the "average" size of an animal is not carved in stone ... just ask our 27# AKC registered mini-pincher who is solid muscle, not fat.

The answers you seek are found in the Word, not the world.

Offline valongrifles

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2012, 05:08:40 AM »
I showed one of these to my beagle and he ran behind the coup and howled for protection!

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2012, 07:19:36 PM »
My Golden just left the County!!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Daryl

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2012, 07:24:22 PM »
HA! - I just fired up the barbyQ

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2012, 09:16:27 PM »
What would be a good  cal size to shoot from small game up to coyotes
or wolves.Iwas at a FISH AN WILDLIFE meeting last night and they are encoureging everyone to go hard on the dog's.We could even have an ELK
season hear in the near future.And as usual the black bears are a problem
hear to .  They are afraid if the elk cross the NORTH SASKATCHEWAN RIVER
they will cause some damage to the local farmer'swho are all ready not careing for the idea of having an elk population in the area. WALT

I'm a little confused by your question.  It starts off discussing wolves and coyotes but then elk and bear are brought up too.

In any case, a .50 is more than enough on a coyote and given that the wolves seem to be about whittail size, then should be fine for them too.  OTOH, if the elk and bear are on sometime in the future, then get at least a .54.
Mike Lee

Daryl

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2012, 09:23:18 PM »
By all means, Mike's right - if Elk are or might be on the menue, I'd have a .54 or larger just because. A .50 would do close in, but I'd prefer a .54 or .58.

Vomitus

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2012, 10:15:11 PM »
  Haasenfeffer!
Seriously tho, we've got BIG dogs here in Northern BC. They aren't the mouse eating kind,they kill and eat many moose each week. I took a drive out in the woods Sunday to see if I could regulate a few wolves. Not a single fresh moose track anywhere to be found, and I went to a spot that is a natural game migration route. A large pair of male wolves had run down the road,marking every 200 yards or so. Daryl, the North Fraser Log Rd to the McGreggor river.. I drove about sixty cliks through what used to be good moose ground. I think the moose are wiped out.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 10:25:40 PM by Leatherbelly »

Daryl

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2012, 10:16:22 PM »
Yummy bunny

Dogshirt

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2012, 10:42:26 PM »
Otto (my dachshund) says he ain't skeered of no rabbit! Or much of anything else it seems. ;D

FRJ

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2012, 12:54:16 AM »
Mixing coyotes and wolves isn't even close to cool. A 40# coyote is a large yote and can be taken easily with a 22 rimfire. A wolf is a different critter altogether and can and will kill and eat you!!!! A 45 may be allright but why take a chance? FRJ

Dogshirt

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2012, 05:57:50 AM »
Mixing coyotes and wolves isn't even close to cool. A 40# coyote is a large yote and can be taken easily with a 22 rimfire. A wolf is a different critter altogether and can and will kill and eat you!!!! A 45 may be allright but why take a chance? FRJ

Quite possibly the (words deleted by moderator) statement I've heard in near 60 years!!!!!!!!!! 2, count them, 2 documented cases of wolf/human attacks in North American history! Period, end of discussion! The "Big Bad Wolf" does NOT exist! (words deleted by moderator) and read the facts!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 03:44:41 PM by rich pierce »

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2012, 07:22:48 AM »
Oh well, the place to address the F&W branches is at town and city meetings, not here, of course.

That was a very large, outsized cat, Walt. We can and do use dogs for cougar here.

Not positive about the wolf sizes.  They can seem heavier than they actually are.  One fall, we got a large male and all 4 pups of a 'family' pack. We didn't get the female, although she was the main target, was never with the others.  This happened when I was guiding moose hunters back in '78.  My .458 worked just fine.  It took both Igor and I to lift the male into the canoe - he was very heavy - it was a grunt and 1/2.  I was very strong back then & so was Igor. We both figured him to be close to 200, maybe over, but of course, it's all subjective guessing.  It would have been easier to throw a 200 pound man into the canoe- that, we figured.  The pups were around 55 to 60 pounds, just guessing - about like a normal slightly fat young lab.  Every where we went, we were walking on wolf scat.  They are game decimators.
"The Game Branch" in Wyoming, I think it was, placed their weight about 135 to 145- average female and male, I'd assume but did not retain that information.

A school teacher was pulled down, killed and partically eaten by 2 or 3 wolves just outside her town, in Alaska.  It happened last early spring, I think it was. She was a runner -  and ran by herself once too many times.

So, yes - they will attack humans.

Dad caught a big male one time that weighed 135 pounds IIRC. But said he had appeared to have puked 30 pounds or more of moose after getting in the trap. And he caught them in cold weather.
The weight on critters can change with location too. But Dad did see a lot of wolves over the years and he weighted the big ones. BUT they could have lost weight in the trap too. So.... ???

Back when they introduced the Wolf to Yellowstone we had an elderly lady we helped out with taking care of her sheep and chickens etc.
She was born in a tent in Oklahoma circa 1911. Her father was a wolfer.
After the introduction I asked Geraldine what she thought and she simply said:
"Wait till people's kids start disappearing".

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2012, 08:37:19 AM »

Quite possibly the (words deleted by moderator) statement I've heard in near 60 years!!!!!!!!!! 2, count them, 2 documented cases of wolf/human attacks in North American history! Period, end of discussion! The "Big Bad Wolf" does NOT exist! (words deleted by moderator) and read the facts!

I have seen a lot of (words deleted by moderator) statements about the wolf and yours is the basic mantra of the uniformed or the wolf advocate. Its complete BS that is not borne out by the FACTS. But its popular with those that think large predators that most of them have never even seen, are just "furry woodland creatures" like in a Walt Disney movie of the 1960s.

Yeah, if you totally discount the historical accounts there are no accounts of people being killed by wolves. However, there are numerous accounts in NA from Kentucky to Alaska but since they were before the time of modern forensics they are only "anecdotal" and as such are invalid according the the wolf advocate/apologist.
The trapper killed and eaten in mid-winter AK about 1937 comes to mind. When his (few) remains were found by friends they discovered his revolver had a broken mainspring.
Read the account of the hunter treed by wolves in "The Muzzleloading Caplock Rifle". But its just "anecdotal" and since he was in a tree they did not kill him. He killed 2 and they STILL staid after him so he climbed a tree. Unfortunately he lost his caps while reloading in the dark and was defenseless....
Or the account in the Fairbanks AK newspaper where the unarmed X-country skier found himself surrounded by a pack of wolves who were "looking at him like he was a hotdog". I think this was 2009 maybe 2008 can't recall.
We also have to remember that the European Wolf and the NA Wolf are THE SAME ANIMAL. Everyone agrees the European Wolf killed and ate people. But we are supposed to believe that the ones over here are "different" somehow. This entire "harmless NA wolf" $#@* is a product of the people who simply do not want to look at the historical information or have an axe to grind.
Its like the la la land idea that the wolf only kills to eat. The will travel up a valley killing elk (for example) kill one, lope away to find another, kill it then lope off in search of another victim.  My then High School age niece related this to me after returning from a school trip to Yellowstone. They kept driving down the road watching wolfs kill elk.

Then of course we have the young folk singer killed by Coyotes.
http://articles.cnn.com/2009-10-29/entertainment/canada.singer.killed_1_coyotes-taylor-mitchell-canadian-folk-singer?_s=PM:SHOWBIZ

So before you start calling people stupid or "urban" for stating wolves eat people maybe you should stop believing the incredible lies fostered by the Park Service , the wolf apologists and "rewild the planet" types (some of whom with a LOT of money want the population reduced by 2/3s by any means necessary) and simply ask the people that live with them. Dad has repeatedly told me that natives told him that they were more fearful of wolves than the Gbear.
We have  accounts of people having dogs taken off their porches in Park County MT. I am sure this is common in other areas as well. Around Anchorage AK they were taking them right off the leash of they owners walking them in the state park that borders Anc.

URBAN? My county has a population of 3 per square mile. Yours is 18. So who is "urban"?
Do you have wolves yet? You will if you don't already they are as far east as Nebraska now. If you live in a "rural" area you might want to make sure you go out with your dog.
I suspect the population is at LEAST 5 times the "official" numbers which are simply BS.
But the ignorant watch what they see on TV and even worse BELIEVE IT.
The Wolf has nearly destroyed Elk hunting in my area. Many outfitters are simply out of business or operate at an greatly reduced level of activity. The  Northern Yellowstone elk population has crashed from 20000+ to under 5000 and the Elk live in different areas than they did "pre-wolf". Bears with the increased food source from all the uneaten wold killed have greatly increased in numbers and have also spread out from the Park.

Check this "trailer" out.

I suggest you watch the entire film. Its far more factual than anything the Gov't or the wolf apologists might put out.

Then start looking for "wildlife corridors" as envisioned by the "animal rights/tree hugger/humans are bugs that need to be eradicated" types.
We were told for years that Mtn Lions were harmless, until they overpopulated and started eating joggers in CA. Never mind the ones killed stalking or even attacking hunters.... One was related to me first person, he shot the fast approaching lion at about 10 ft with his Sharps about 40-50 miles from here.

To reiterate, I would advise you do some more research, from sources other than the Sieera Club, Green Piece, the Gov't or the "news" media etc, before shouting "stupid" at people. But given the outburst I doubt you will bother, you seem to have already drank the Kool Aid as they say.

Dan
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 03:47:22 PM by rich pierce »
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Vomitus

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2012, 11:32:42 AM »
"The "Big Bad Wolf" does NOT exist!"

Well,this may surprise you, but yes he does.I've lived in the north for 52 years and seen some real big dogs.
  Ask any FN people.They live out there.I believe the stories they have told me and they say wolves are man eaters.Just because it isn't "documented",doesn't mean it doesn't happen. If you don't believe me,come up here. I'll introduce you to a few 25 member packs.Bring your M14,or not.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2012, 03:05:30 PM »
Even though we have no wolves here in the city,we do have from time to time,packs or groups of once tame dogs that pose a threat to walkers and small children. We have a large park area directly behind our home and I frequently take our grandson,Zach over so he can ride his new bike or simply walk with me and the little guy now knows that "Papaw"carries a loaded,concealed pistol which can be a 44Spl,a 38 Super or a Para 14 as protection from dog packs and "other"vermin.
Like the old man that used to advertise Travelers Checks,I don't leave home without it.

Bob Roller

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2012, 03:49:26 PM »
End of discussion.  Nothing about longrifles is being discussed and it appears those responding cannot resist personal attacks.
Andover, Vermont

Daryl

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2012, 06:06:53 PM »