Author Topic: Leonard Day Swivel Breech Flinter  (Read 10208 times)

pflyman

Leonard Day Swivel Breech Flinter
« on: February 19, 2012, 06:48:42 PM »
Yesterday I picked up a 45 caliber L. Day flintlock swivel breech #137.  I have no idea whether I paid too much, but it is in outstanding condition and appears to be well made. I love it; therefore, I won't worry about the cost.  There is a very minor wobble in the swivel which I have read can be adjusted out. 

Does anyone know how that adjustment is made?  I have read that Mr. Day may still be active, but I would rather not bother him if he has hung up his tools.

Dave

verbrugen

Re: Leonard Day Swivel Breech Flinter
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 11:04:08 PM »
I used to see Leonard and his son at various events here in the Northeast, but not as often in the last couple of years.  Here is link to a post from a couple of years ago.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=7115.0

I would give it a try as Leonard and his son were always very happy to help folks with his work.

Jeff

Roy S.

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 12:58:08 AM »
I am re-building one now.. the action swivels on a bolt. There are two nuts that just need to be tightened up a bit. The first nut acts like the tension and the second is to act like a lock nut.. may want to use some lock tight on that one. You need to take the gun apart to get to them. Remove the lock (back section with the hammer, the side plate, the tang bolt along with the triggerplate (triggers and triggergaurd assembly). 

Offline steg49

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 09:40:51 PM »
Can you get a picture of the flinter for us?  I have a .50 cal L. Day percussion swivel barrel full stock.  Fun to shoot!!!

Offline cable

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 09:42:42 PM »
Can you get a picture of the flinter for us?  I have a .50 cal L. Day percussion swivel barrel full stock.  Fun to shoot!!!

me too and it is great fun.  would love to see [ and have ] one of his flinters.

4ster

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 10:06:56 PM »
I would like to see those pictures!  It looks to me in you last post that you have the file path where the pictures are stored on your Mac.  You need to get them on the web in one form or another first.

Posting here is a little different than other boards I use.  What you should do is have either your own web page and post the pictures there or use one of the photo sharing sites.  You then provide the link to where they are on the interweb in the post using the buttons in the window you are using to write the post.  Here is a link to the tutorial about posting pictures here:
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=10.0

I'm not really good at this myself, I've only managed to get links to my photos in a post, that seems to be easier.

Steve

pflyman

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 06:21:29 AM »
Third time is a charm

4ster

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 04:44:55 PM »
Thanks!  Absolutely beautiful.

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 07:28:43 PM »
 Leonard is still active. The number of swivel breeches he has built is now well over 600. And he has built a large number of other guns as well. Reminds me that I should drive over and see what he's building now. Nice rifle, by the way.

pflyman

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 04:36:39 PM »
I spoke to Leonard shortly after purchasing the gun.  He does indeed continue to work.  When I called, I apparently drug him away from his shop where he was working on three (I believe all swivel breeches). 

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 09:20:10 PM »
Neat to see one of his old rifles.  It looks to me as if he used chromium trioxide for the maple stain.  Your rifle is in very good shape.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.