Author Topic: David Dodd's Tennessee rifle on blog  (Read 4046 times)

Offline bgf

David Dodd's Tennessee rifle on blog
« on: February 20, 2012, 02:32:17 AM »
I saw this on Track the other day, and I'm glad it went up on the blog.  The Dodd's rifles I've seen (and I'd like to see more) do a better job than most at capturing the essence of what he is building and they don't do it with glitz or BS (for example, I like how he didn't go the almost obligatory long tang route, either on the buttcap or the barrel tang).  This one is a steal on track (if it is still there).  He is one builder I would really have liked the chance to meet.

Offline woodsrunner

Re: David Dodd's Tennessee rifle on blog
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 04:25:03 AM »
Unfortunately Dave died a year ago last June. Dave and I were very good friends and I have several pieces that he made for me. His speciality was early Reading rifles, and I'm not aware of a Tennessee rifle built by him. He did build what is thought to be a Rowan County North Carolina rifle, which I have, and the so called square breech Carolina mixmaster which I also have. Unfortunately I'm not computer literate enough to find the "blog" that you mentioned, and I would really like to see this Tennessee rifle! 

Offline bgf

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 04:38:50 AM »
Sorry, I thought I put a link in the original post:
http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2012/02/tennessee-long-rifle-by-david-dodds.html

I love his Readings (anything PA is not my usual preference) but wasn't even aware of them until he was gone.  I didn't even know he had done southern mountain rifles, so these are nice surprises.

billm

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 07:09:52 AM »
That is a nice looking rifle.Well worth the money too.I dont know why but mountain rifles just look classy.I guess its because nothing about the gun is overstated.
bill

C. Cash

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 08:59:41 AM »
Not schooled in long rifles like many here, but every rifle that I've seen by him really speaks to me.  That Tenneseee rifle is no exception.

Bill

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 05:12:29 PM »
A really classy rifle. Everything about it just speaks high class! I can't imagine it will last long at all at that great price.