Author Topic: Fowler stocks and cheek pain ???  (Read 4725 times)

Offline Skychief

Fowler stocks and cheek pain ???
« on: February 20, 2012, 03:50:59 AM »
Just got in from shooting my new-to-me "Tulle" styled fowler with it's slight roman-nosed stock.   My cheek under the cheekbone took a real battering!

What fowlers are known to be the "cheek-friendliest"?

Best regards, Skychief.

Daryl

Re: Fowler stocks and cheek pain ???
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 03:59:34 AM »
English designs are generally cheek friendly, as was the early Pennsylvania fowler I shot, which was of similar design.

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 04:46:43 PM »
I may be wrong but it's been my experiance that the Roman nose design stocks are all cheek punishing. I think they look beautiful but I don't like shooting them and I sure wouldn't own one again. Give me a straight comb.

blunderbuss

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 06:00:48 PM »
  The cheek piece should taper toward the wrist and from the top of the butt plate downward if it doesn't it will hit your cheek when it recoils. Roman noises do the opposite. When the recoil is pushing you back your face should be  moving into the taper of the stock. Sometimes even a straight stock will punch your cheek it needs to taper both down ward and inward
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 06:03:46 PM by blunderbuss »

Vomitus

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 08:54:38 PM »
  Sky,
   I know your pain,lol! The French trade guns all seem to "bite"! There is a fix though.
   I bought a real nice Fusil de Chasse, a Mike Brooks kit, assembled by a gent in Arkansas, that was a typical Roman nose with a sharp edge that followed the butt plate heel finial all the way to the front of the comb. After numerous cheek beatings and abrasions, I took out my bowie and scraped the sharp edge off and it made all the difference.(sold it in one of my frequent weak moments,lol)
  Yours probably needs the comb rasped down a tad.This seems to calm the cheek bashing considerably! The angle of the the butt on these Frenchies kinda disturbs me,but it's possible to fix that also.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 10:53:46 PM »
Sky... My 12 ga english game gun by Caywood is shooter friendly even with heavy turky loads. When Im shootin light loads I cant even tell I've shot anything.It weighs 5 an 3/4 lbs. But then when ya come to think of it I tip the scales at about 230 so maybe the blubber absorbs more recoil.  ::)
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

roundball

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 11:10:03 PM »
Beautiful gun there wattleB...straight stocks are my preference as well...all my smoothbores have been and are so called smooth rifles both for looks and fit/function..

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 07:22:58 PM »
Traditional English fowling piece architecture is what it is for a reason.......... Now the French...???  I guess pretty was more important than function?/
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

cahil_2

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 02:35:16 AM »
I had a nice Tulle and yes it punished my cheek.  My remedy was to get rid of it and get a more conventional trade gun.

blunderbuss

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 03:55:08 AM »

A .577 Enfield rifle will absolutely punish your cheek some originals were cupped out at the cheek by the owners

Daryl

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 06:09:24 PM »
I modified the cheek piece of my Enfield - makes it OK up to about 120gr. with round ball. No cuping, no dishing just  thinning and lowering the comb as much as possible.

northmn

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 08:29:52 PM »
When I visited Fort William near Thunder bay I saw a bunch of Brown Bess originals that had the cheeck piece scopped out.  Military guns tend to be too straight as do some NWTG's.  A few of the French designs I have seen not only have the Roman nose but the buttplate is slanted to make them jump.  The buttplate needs to be straight against the shoulder, you have to have enough drop and the comb needs to be tapered such that the recoil does not push against the cheek.  I sold a Repo Bess and built my own 12 bore.  I accidently double charged the 12 one time and the recoil pushed me back but I did not have any real pain from the shot.  I have shot all my smoothbores before final finish to guarantee that I do not get an acorn on the cheek. 
Original Fusil de Chasse had a straighter butt plate installation than many repos.

DP