Author Topic: J. Davis contemporary maker  (Read 6747 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
J. Davis contemporary maker
« on: February 24, 2012, 08:40:58 PM »
This rifle has a Bill Large 44" barrel and 1964 Bob Roller lock.  Does anyone know more about
J. Davis?

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Bob Roller

Re: J. Davis contemporary maker
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 09:14:03 PM »
I have never heard of J.Davis. The lock may be one of the first of that type I made. It is the Chet Shoults Ketland and the external parts became available after he became ill. The triggers may be mine also but that is not certain.
Whoever this maker was had his act together and if the gun and the lock are both from 1964 it is indeed an exceptional piece because at that time,not many makers showed this level of craftsmanship.
  You mentioned Bill Large and I called his third born daughter,Jeanette last night to see how she was doing because she is a cancer survivor.  She sounded good and told me her oldest sister just hit 80.

Bob Roller

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 12:15:55 AM »
Hey Bob...Thanks for sharing your thoughts...surprised you dont reognize the maker...does the rest look 1964 to you? Maybe somebody will eemember
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Online smokinbuck

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 01:20:22 AM »
Rob,
Like Bob said, that's an exceptional piece, especially for 1964. Were you able to secure it or just drool on it a lot?
Mark
Mark

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 07:38:35 PM »
A friend of mine has it.  Just drooling.

roamer

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 02:15:02 AM »
Wow what a stunner

tabs

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 10:17:01 AM »
Unfortunately this rifle has a long crack in the stock on the left side...coming off of the corner of the Butt Plate heading for the Cheek Piece.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 03:42:19 AM »
Owner says it's intact, just light playing tricks.

Unfortunately this rifle has a long crack in the stock on the left side...coming off of the corner of the Butt Plate heading for the Cheek Piece.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 10:17:37 PM »
Robert Weil recalls his first meeting with John Davis. Robert states that he regrets not having met John before he wrote Contemporary Makers, so that John could have been included in the book.

I met John Davis in 1964. At that time he was living in Santa Barbara Calif. This was the first Gunsmith I met that was making "authentic looking" Kentucky rifles. At that time, he was working for the Santa Barbara Museum of Natural history doing mostly taxidermy. Davis was/is an amazing artist.

"He had great skill and interest in many directions. He scratch built a WW1 airplane, and actually flew it. At the time I met him he had built many Longrifles. He had formed a primitive black powder club of shooters and built most of their arms. They dressed in full historical garb for their events.
John had a vast knowledge of the various Long rifle schools. I had him make me a Lehigh style rifle. We picked it out of the Kindig book. That was the Bible then. It was a simple uncarved gun but remember it had wonderful lines. The cost was $400. Those were the days!!!

Those were the days, but $400 would also buy you a good used car in that time, so this maker must have
been recognized as very talented in his time.  Rob
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 03:53:49 PM by Rob Watt (suzkat) »

Offline art riser

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 02:19:59 AM »
Actually Robert met John before he wrote his book, but loss track of him and was unable to include him in the book.

tabs

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 11:48:49 PM »
If this gun was bought recently up in MN or WI at auction, there is a crack in the stock. As I talked to the auctioneer about it, and decided against pursuing it becquse of that fact. However there is no denying that this is one elegant rifle, that would grace anyones collection.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 05:57:46 PM »
If this gun was bought recently up in MN or WI at auction, there is a crack in the stock. As I talked to the auctioneer about it, and decided against pursuing it becquse of that fact. However there is no denying that this is one elegant rifle, that would grace anyones collection.
    I don't know the provenance and never had my hands on it.  I don't know that it matters.  I just posted
it for people to look at!  PM me if you want to talk to the owner.  He restated that the stock is not cracked.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 07:23:03 PM by Suzkat (Rob) »

Offline George Sutton

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 04:21:48 AM »
I like it!

Centershot