Author Topic: Last greys of the season  (Read 8003 times)

Offline wattlebuster

Last greys of the season
« on: February 25, 2012, 11:36:49 PM »
Well time sure flies when your having fun. This morning was my last chance to go squirell hunting this season so I got 2 in about 30 mins. This year was the first year I've squirell hunted since I was a teenager an I will have to say I've had a blast an its made me feel like a kid agian. I've killed them all with a flintlock so that made it extra special to me.  So here's to some fine stews an dumplins ;D Now its time to get serious an BUST some wattles
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

roundball

Re: Last greys of the season
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 11:42:58 PM »
Just excellent...and a great photo to boot !

(about 7 weeks til turkey here)

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 11:46:18 PM »
Just a bit over two weeks here Roundball. Ours starts march 15th. Good luck with yours ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 12:21:14 AM »
That was too long of a wait, wattlebuster.  Glad you had a fine hunt.  Yep, turkey soon......
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Daryl

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 02:44:49 AM »
That's great - I had to snow-blow about 10" of fresh snow off the driveways this morning. That sunshine and lack of snow sure looked nice. Is that GREEN grass and weeds? WOW!

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 03:42:23 AM »
Daryl it was 78 degrees here last week but finally cooled down some today. It was 58.  We will be cutting grass in a few more weeks if it keeps this up. Our trees are already blooming too. All this is a sure sign of a active tornado season an lord knows we have had more than enough of them. Our whole town was destroyed last april 27th.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 10:36:10 AM »
Good shooting, WattleBuster!  I truly love the squirrel hunt, almost a well as any other hunting!
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 01:38:48 PM »
There is nothing like squirrels  through the fall and winter and  turkey in  the spring.
Gene

Offline The Original Griz

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 02:46:28 PM »
Great picture,
man if you could toss just one more in there, you have the fixins for a squirrel pie,MMM? I'm getting hungry now... Been too long with out any pie:(
“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
Thomas Jefferson
www.timsannerpowderhorns.com

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 04:09:05 PM »
Hi guys,
I am new to turkey watching.
Last week, just down the road I counted 55 turkeys, and on Thursday past I saw an even bigger flock, I counted 150, and gave up, because the suckers wouldn't stay still long enough to continue counting.
Is that typical for turkeys at this time of year?
The snow was almost all gone at the time.
I have never eaten squirrel, I couldn't imagine eating rodent.
How do you prepare it to eat?
Have a great day!
Fred
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 04:13:22 PM by Old Ford2 »
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

roundball

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 05:02:44 PM »

Last week, just down the road I counted 55 turkeys, and on Thursday past I saw an even bigger flock, I counted 150, and gave up, because the suckers wouldn't stay still long enough to continue counting.

That's been my sighting experiences...large flocks out in open spaces in very early spring, but it seems a brief period of time they do that, and I don't recall ever seeing that once the spring mating season actually begins...

Daryl

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 05:43:58 PM »
When does the spring hunting season for turkeys open?

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 05:58:31 PM »
Here in GA:

Mar. 24–May 15, 2012, statewide.

Season Limit: 3 Gobblers.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Longknife

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 06:05:06 PM »
Hi guys,
I am new to turkey watching.
The snow was almost all gone at the time.
I have never eaten squirrel, I couldn't imagine eating rodent.
How do you prepare it to eat?
Have a great day!
Fred

NEVER EATEN A SQUIRREL????????? I am really suprized to hear how many people have never tried squirrel but have no problem eating commercialy produced meat. Ever been to a hog farm of chicken ranch??? One word---DISGUSTING!!!! Ever eat at a fast food restaurants, do you know how chicken McNuggets are made? If you did you wouldn't touch them.. !!!

All about the little guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_Squirrel

Cook'n em up:
http://www.backwoodsbound.com/zsquir.html

« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 06:06:21 PM by Longknife »
Ed Hamberg

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 06:09:32 PM »
Old ford 2 ya dont know what yer missin with fried squirell an some squirell dumplins. We used to see big flocks around here several years ago but we have had a huge die off an our turkey population needs to make a come back. Have not seen no more than 5 maybe 6 turkeys in one group in a long time.
Daryl our season here in marion co Ala which is in the northwest part of the state starts march 15th an goes thru the whole month of april. On a yr to yr average the best hunting is the second week of april, but like all things that can vari depending on weather an how many hens we have. If ya have lots of hens then mr longbeard dont have to gobble much but in a low hen yr then he has to advertise a little more.  Our #1 major problem in Alabama is the timber cutting. When the timber companys move in they cut evrything an it looks like a atomic bomb has went off. At the rate they are stripping the hardwoods, the only oak trees you will see in Alabama will be in peoples yards an some are even selling those. The days of the big whiteoaks are GONE. We are a pine plantation state now an they have even started cutting those in about 15 yrs. Most are only 10 to 12 inches in dia an hardly make it to 20-25 ft

roundball

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2012, 06:10:55 PM »
NC spring turkey this year opens April 14, runs about a month, limit is 2 bearded turkeys.
Don't have many in and around the dozen acres of private land I have to hunt on, but I refuse to hunt turkey on public land...too many people get shot.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2012, 06:22:02 PM »
Longknife that is a good recipe site. Thanks ;D

greybeard

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 11:52:55 PM »
Talkin bout dumplins, try one fer dessert. Poke a few holes in the dumplin and pour some corn or maple syrop in them!!!      GOOOOD!!
Bob

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2012, 04:04:50 PM »
Our squirrel season here in MD ends tomorrow, and turkey starts April 18, 2 for the season and goes until May 23.  We had a great dry spring and summer last year, was perfect for turkey reproduction and poult survival and we really needed it.  Birds had been down in numbers, but this fall I saw more than I've ever seen on my place. Tons of jakes, but it will be fun.

Only problem is I sold my smoothbore and won't have another built in time.   :(
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

JBlk

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2012, 07:56:24 PM »
I have been a squirrel hunter all the years I have hunted and it still gives me a thrill to bag one.People have some funny conceptions of what is good to eat, and something they would never try.Just follow any old chicken around for a hour or so, and you would probably have some real reservations about your next meal with that on the menu.A squirrels food source is a whole lot better.We don't have any greys in my locale although they are both south and north of us.In the last couple of years a small black squirrel with tiffs of black hair in its ears have invaded the community and crossbred with the fox squirrels.We now have many large black squirrels, and at the rate they are reproducing they will soon be in the timber.This state claims that the hunters seeking squirrels has greatly diminished so the have given us a season from aug to the middle of feb of the next year.The trouble is that the squirrels apparently havenot discovered the lack of hunting pressure yet and are few and far between.

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2012, 04:59:01 PM »
Nice shooting, and flintlock!  For some good instructions on cooking and cleaning game,  Try this website, it is a website that my friend and his son have called   "thebackwoodsmaninstitute"  Very good instructional videos and a good looking fusil dechass!  shows video of hunting deer, turkey, squirrel, etc... planting crops, canning, and archery!!!  My friend, the father, used to be my 4H instructor when I was younger and taught hunting and wildlife discipline.  Excellent instructor and researcher.  Check it out..

Tom