Author Topic: Ketland update  (Read 2291 times)

Offline JV Puleo

Ketland update
« on: March 08, 2012, 02:19:20 AM »
I'm just back from my annual research junket to the UK and thought I'd share a tidbit from it.

I'd long believed that the elder William Ketland, the father of Thomas Ketland Sr., was not a gunmaker although he has often been identified as such and the dates of the family's involvement with gunmaking pushed back to the 1730s or 40s. I now have incontrovertible proof that my supposition was correct. I found the elder WK's will... This means that no Ketland product can possibly pre-date about 1760 (and I've only seen one or two that were even possibly this old). The first Ketland gunmaker was Thomas Sr. and, as TK Sr. was only 22 years old and just just starting in business, it is extremely unlikely that any of his products reached the colonies as early as some have posited in the past.

Offline Steve Collward

Re: Ketland update
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 04:10:10 AM »
Mr. Puleo:   Thanks for the update regarding your research on the Ketlands.  Enjoyed your recent article in Man at Arms.
By the way, will you be at Baltimore next weekend?

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 06:32:42 PM »
Yes. I should be there. I'll be at the Man at Arms table when I'm not running around...

jp

Offline TPH

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 09:50:36 PM »
Thanks very much for all of your work on this and for sharing the information with us. It is good to know.
T.P. Hern