Author Topic: Patchbox Size  (Read 3925 times)

Offline Kevin Houlihan

Patchbox Size
« on: March 09, 2012, 06:15:47 AM »
  I'm planning a new rifle and have all the parts ready except for the patchbox.  This will be a Southern Iron mounted rifle with a patchbox loosely base on the Jos Bogle style.  What seems to be a good useful width for the door and cavity?  I bought a patchbox kit w/ a 1" wide door and even on a slim rifle it seems too small.  Also, how much should the door overlap the sides of the cavity?   
Thanks,
Kevin Houlihan

Offline JDK

Re: Patchbox Size
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 06:35:00 AM »
Let the Snicker's Bar jokes begin.  :D

If you go to the click on General Discussion above and scroll down to the Virtual Library then scroll down to the rifles by state there are several rifles that will give you an idea of appropriate patchbox size/layout.  J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline FALout

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 01:49:51 PM »
I would just make your own.  I bought and used one of those on a rifle that I have been "slowly" working on.  I've now been considering making a new one that can be large enough to just enlarge all the inletting.  You don't want to get into the position that I'm in, re-doing all the work I've already done or having the nagging thought of "should I have .....".  After scaling pics, I found that 1-1/8" to 1-1/4" would have been better.  As for the style of rifle you mentioned, I'm not sure, some styles can be larger then you think.
Bob

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 02:02:44 PM »
   Take a photo of the original work and blow it up until the butt plate height of the photo matches the height of the original then measure the width of the P.B. lid.  If you have a good 90 angle photo of the original work you can make a pattern of the original patchbox this same way.  I have found that after you have the pattern it is best to reduce it by about 5% before using it as a pattern.  We trace around a pattern and then saw and file down to the line thus your resultant P.B. has grown somewhat larger than the original.   

Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline bgf

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 10:18:09 PM »
   Take a photo of the original work and blow it up until the butt plate height of the photo matches the height of the original then measure the width of the P.B. lid.  If you have a good 90 angle photo of the original work you can make a pattern of the original patchbox this same way.  I have found that after you have the pattern it is best to reduce it by about 5% before using it as a pattern.  We trace around a pattern and then saw and file down to the line thus your resultant P.B. has grown somewhat larger than the original.   

Ron

That is exactly the way to do it, but one complication is that if you change any dimensions, esp. the pull length (which is common), you may need to adjust the original dimensions to your "copy" to maintain the proportion of PB to buttstock.  I've seen some cases where the PB was probably exactly copied from an original, but the stock was dimensioned noticeably differently, making the PB look too short, too long, too squat, too thin, etc. when compared to the model. 

If you take the buttstock photo of the original and scale it to your rifle (which you might have already done to cut the profile out of the blank), then take the patchbox pattern from that as stated it should work fine.

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 01:24:36 AM »
If your stock is shaped pretty close to final you can draw out an oversize paper pattern of the box, then lay it on the stock - you can pin it or tape it on - then  just keep trimming it down or make new patterns till it looks right with regard to size and the lines are what you like.  You can also move it around to get a feel for what alignment looks best.  

There are good closeups of the box on the  Bogle rifle in the virtual museum and Wayne's writeup inclludes detailed dimensions - the buttplate is 4 and 9/16 inches high so you could scale off the width of the patchbox lid from the straight on side photo of the patchbox side.  Myron Carlson copied that hardware and Ron Borron did a drawing - I can check the dimensions on those if you need, but as the others pointed out, your rifle will have minor differences so I would start with a paper pattern.  

Tedd Cash makes a two piece patchbox blank that you could use to make one of you don't want to make the whole assembly - you can cut it to whatever size you need.  

Good luck

Guy
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 01:27:26 AM by G-Man »

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 02:00:32 AM »
Can't believe that no one has mentioned the Golden Mean! ;D ;D
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 03:00:01 AM »
Can't believe that no one has mentioned the Golden Mean! ;D ;D
Or the Snicker bar paradigm.  ;D ;D
Dave
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 03:02:00 AM by David Rase »