Author Topic: ALR Museum Gunsmith: Henry Wright....Jamestown, N.C.  (Read 4279 times)

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
ALR Museum Gunsmith: Henry Wright....Jamestown, N.C.
« on: March 11, 2012, 12:58:53 AM »
A fine gun from the hand of Henry Wright of Jamestown area of North Carolina.

Here is the URL:

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=20790.0

Please comment here as a reply.
The Museum Committee

posum

Re: ALR Museum Gunsmith: Henry Wright....Jamestown, N.C.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 08:21:35 PM »
The T>F>Merritt rifle I just posted has the same rear sight and vI stamped behind it as well as the matching ramrod pipes and triggers and comb insise line and 3 screw barrel tang and butplate and stock shape. Possibly these rifle makers worked in close proximity of one another in Guilford Co.

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 05:13:40 PM »
Posum,
Henry Wright's gunshop was located on the west side of Guilford College road about 400 yards north of it's intersection with Mackay Road.  This is about two miles South of Thomas Fletcher Merritt's gunshop.  Between 1840 and 1870 there were over 40 gunshops operating within a three mile area.  I have documented 88 men working as gunsmiths, gunstockers or apprentices between 1795 and 1902.  Not bad for a community that never had more than 400 to 500 citizens at any one time.

In my opinion, the Jamestown School was the largest in the Southern United States and put most of the other Longrifle Schools in North Carolina out of business.

Michael
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 12:27:03 AM by mbriggs »
C. Michael Briggs

realtorone

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 11:08:07 PM »
I have a rifle marked H.W. about midway between the rear sight and the breech plug.It's had heavy stock damage and has no lock(percussion)although orig ionally flint.William Ivey confermed the maker at last years Tenn.Show at Norris.He says it's very res torable even though all the inlays are missing
Mine is also marked V  directly behind the rear sight.It's full stock, 45 3/4 barrel @ 40 cal.'lots of Indian markings (crossed arrows on lower pipe,arrow head inlays etc.

• Library_mod
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 04:26:57 PM »
George: CAn you post some pictures or perhaps send them to me and I will add them for you.
Hurricane

realtorone

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 06:50:35 PM »
I'll be happy to,but it will most likely be tomorrow as our a/C is out here at the house and L.A.(Lower Alabama )gets hot even this early this year.
Send your email address Io louhebling@gulftel.com(my wife's here at home) and I'll email them to you.Be prepared I'm not a good picture taker.

George

• Library_mod
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 05:26:21 AM »
Thanks "George"
Email sent
Hurricane
fgarner@verizon.net