Author Topic: Spring arrived!  (Read 9366 times)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Spring arrived!
« on: March 12, 2012, 02:49:03 AM »
I think spring arrived today, when we turned the clocks ahead last night and woke up to above freezing temperatures and sunshine.  Eight of us shot our trail today...around 40 targets, but some required several shots (for me anyway) to get them all.  Green-up can only be a couple of months away, now.

The usual suspects...

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Harnic

Re: Spring arrived!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 03:50:07 AM »
It can't get here too soon for me Taylor!  Most of our snow has melted now, we're down to about 5 inches of compact, wet stuff in the pasture.  I'm glad to get the warmer weather because I finally fitted the new 58 cal Rice barrel I bought last year on my fullstock flint Hawken last week, so now I can get out & practice for the coming shooting season.  I cast several hundred balls & got out last Friday to get the sights roughed in, now I just need to settle on a load, then fine tune the sights!  Good times a-comin'!

P.S.  LB looks funny without a cane now!  ;)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 06:39:32 AM by Harnic »

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 04:49:24 AM »
Whats up with all that white stuff yall are standing on. Sounds like yall had a fine time. ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Vomitus

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 07:02:00 AM »
 On the way home I seen my first song bird of the year,a robin.

Offline The Original Griz

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 11:31:20 AM »
must have been something in the air, Our group shot yesterday also, only 2 differences were, no camera's and no snow. 60 degrees and what a fantastic day we had....
“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
Thomas Jefferson
www.timsannerpowderhorns.com

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 01:27:58 PM »
Taylor, a foot of snow on the ground, spring? i don't know, I moved to Georgia in 1993 in the middle of a blizzard in Massachusetts, never looked back. I'm turning into a whimp. Went shooting Friday the temperature was in the mid 50's and I thought it was a little too cool for shooting. Daffodils and flowering trees are all in bloom here. I'm going to have to mow my lawn today or tomorrow.

Daryl

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 06:21:19 PM »
There'll be a foot all right, once a couple feet of snow melts of the top, Micah.  You're right, though, in some of the more sheltered spots, there's only a foot of snow. A number of our hanging targets are buried and could not be shot - which is normal.

I might add, the Gentle Lady did quite well - but of course, missed a couple easy, gimmie-type targets.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 06:25:09 PM by Daryl »

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 07:43:03 PM »
Wattlebuster, that white stuff is Cream o Wheat; they use it as a filler in their guns up North.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 10:35:03 PM »
that white stuff is Cream o Wheat; they use it as a filler in their guns up North.
Don't tell them that grits will give much better groups/patterns ;D
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 11:30:16 PM »
Don't worry; I won't do anything that would jeopardize our grit supplies.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

54Bucks

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 12:55:51 AM »
 That's a nice group photo Taylor! We kinda skipped spring for the moment here in Central Pa., and went directly to a premature summer. Felt like we hit 70 today.

4ster

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 04:09:11 PM »
Here in Western Washington I woke up thinking "Great, I don't hear rain on the roof!"  Then I looked out the window and its snowing.  Can't wait till spring.

Harnic

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 08:36:25 PM »
Here in Western Washington I woke up thinking "Great, I don't hear rain on the roof!"  Then I looked out the window and its snowing.  Can't wait till spring.

Same thing happened here in the North Okanagan valley, BC yesterday Steve!  I can't wait for green again!

Vomitus

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 07:14:00 PM »

P.S.  LB looks funny without a cane now!  ;)

Hey, Harry! It feels @!*%-fine to be able now to walk without support(cane). Still walk like a penguin but getting stronger. Me thinks my surgeon will send me to an occupational therapist first for an evaluation(one session a week,four times). Then the rough stuff starts,physio,yikes! 4 to 6 hours a day,5 days a week. A fellow gets pretty run down after 16 months of doing nothing. On the bright side, My shooting will improve with all the needed exercise. I was pleasantly surprised last Sunday how well I did shoot.( I shot my rifle better then the dreaded smoothbore guys!) ;D Two real challenging targets hit. One, the 1 1/2 inch horizontal bar, and the other,a star wheel wrench. Hit the "nut driver" hole,front and center!~ Clean miss on the card cut,dagnabbit! wobbled it tho.
  Harry, come on up. We shoot casually every Sunday.

Harnic

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 03:16:02 AM »

Hey, Harry! It feels @!*%-fine to be able now to walk without support(cane). Still walk like a penguin but getting stronger. Me thinks my surgeon will send me to an occupational therapist first for an evaluation(one session a week,four times). Then the rough stuff starts,physio,yikes! 4 to 6 hours a day,5 days a week. A fellow gets pretty run down after 16 months of doing nothing. On the bright side, My shooting will improve with all the needed exercise. I was pleasantly surprised last Sunday how well I did shoot.( I shot my rifle better then the dreaded smoothbore guys!) ;D Two real challenging targets hit. One, the 1 1/2 inch horizontal bar, and the other,a star wheel wrench. Hit the "nut driver" hole,front and center!~ Clean miss on the card cut,dagnabbit! wobbled it tho.
  Harry, come on up. We shoot casually every Sunday.

I bet it feels great Roy!  You looked pretty pained at Heffley last summer, I'm glad you got fixed up!  When I get my bike this summer I'll strap the flintlock on my back & wander up for one of those weekend shoots for sure!

I hear you about laying around & not shooting for long periods... I did the same.  That new barrel on my Hawken is shooting great... I was out this afternoon dialing it in.  With a way too light load (70 grs 2f) I still managed to keep a dozen shots inside a 6" bull at 100 yards!  I'm impressed!  I suspect closer to 100 grs of 3f will really tighten that group.  We'll have to keep practicing so we can hold Taylor's feet to the fire at Heffley this year!  ;)

The other DWS

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 03:21:48 AM »
I'm not sure quite why but that group photo makes me think "what if Monte Python did a frontiersman movie?"   maybe the Davy Crockett story

Harnic

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2012, 04:17:15 AM »
I'm not sure quite why but that group photo makes me think "what if Monte Python did a frontiersman movie?"   maybe the Davy Crockett story

Lol!  The Monte Python analogy is bang on!    Hahahahahahahahahaha!

Offline walt53

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2012, 07:04:33 AM »
TAYLOR   How about given the the names of that roudy looking bunch of characters .so when your talking about them a fellow can put a face to the name. ;D
   WALT

Vomitus

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2012, 09:06:05 AM »
 Forget it Walt. ;D

The other DWS

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2012, 02:58:26 PM »
Instead of the "Over the Mountain Men" maybe its the "over-the-hill men"     Of course I suspect that that may well apply to a whole big bunch of us ;D

BTW I DO really like the picture.   I edited a shooting magazine for some years and I saw a LOT of "group shots" taken at matches and graphically-speaking that is one of the nicest I have ever seen.

Daryl

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2012, 06:16:47 PM »
Me, Crispy, Leather Belly, Hatchet Jack, Taylor, Darrell C., Len, Neil

• Member 3
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2012, 08:51:34 PM »
I appreciate your comments on this photo.  I used the timer to take it, setting the camera on the horizontal frame of the string cut station.  The background shows the typical forest around here...lots of spruce, some loge pole pine (those that the beetles didn't kill) and alders for underbrush.  There's Spanish moss hanging from the spruce.  We see snow shoe hares, mule and white tailed deer, and the tracks of moose, in the snow.  We're been shooting this trail since about 1980.  In summer I can drive my truck all the way to the end.  There are about 50 targets from 5 - 109 yards.

Monte Python - indeed!!  ...yet no Jabberwalkie.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Vomitus

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2012, 09:11:41 PM »
  Monte Python? ??? We don't get big snakes here. Are monte pythons from Brazil? Never heard of a jaberwhatever either.Must be my sheltered lifestyle. :-[

Daryl

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2012, 11:59:39 PM »
Indeed!

• Member 3
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2012, 05:35:22 PM »
We woke up Sunday morning to another 4 or so inches of the white stuff, and temperatures just below the freezing mark.  It made for a picturesque time on the trail for four of us.  In truth, we're getting a little anxious for green-up.

D. Taylor Sapergia