Author Topic: jug choke  (Read 14560 times)

Offline FL-Flintlock

• Fire & Iron Mfg.
Re: jug choke
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2012, 06:58:57 AM »
Uh, forgot ... longrifle board, I'll email you.
The answers you seek are found in the Word, not the world.

Daryl

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2012, 06:57:25 PM »
Yes- of course.  I'm back and forth between here and Nitro Express so much, I do get carried away.  The chokes was the main deal - which can be incorporated into any gun we want - if we know how it's designed.

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2012, 12:10:03 AM »
Looks like I stirred up another hornets nest! ;)

Daryl

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2012, 01:48:57 AM »
Nope - no hornet's nest at all. Any day where something isn't learned, is a wasted day. Thankfully, I can learn something on this site, every day - oft times, a lot more than once.

Fred_Dwyer

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2012, 05:46:52 PM »
Jug-chokes? maybe from old style milk-jugs?

Daryl

« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2012, 06:05:48 PM »
What do you mean old style? We used those when I was a kid - not that long ago?    ;D

Fred_Dwyer

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2012, 07:31:44 PM »
I call it old-style if it is from times BMF (before memory failure).  :D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 07:32:23 PM by Fred_Dwyer »

Offline FL-Flintlock

• Fire & Iron Mfg.
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2012, 02:24:47 PM »
James R.,

Back has kept me from being able to sit at the computer long enough to sort through my email let alone do anything else.  This is just one style.

Daryl

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2012, 06:58:51 PM »
Strange - standard Euro choke, then a jug choke with a long end-choke (long parallel section before muzzle).
This is roughly the jug choke I lapped into the bore of my .44 smoothrifle. The choked part was 3" long along the horizontal and about .005 to .006" deep only.  There was 3/4" between the muzzle and the end of the choke, (hense the term - probably English, "End Choke". 

The gun still shot round ball extremely well for having no rifling, yet patterned 1/2ounce of shot well enough to win a trap shoot breaking 10 straight at rendezvous against everyone else using double 12's and a 10 bore. This was before the flood of 20 bore French guns arrival and those people with smothbores, had Navy Arms and Dixie doubles & used them for ducks and geese with lead shot.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 07:11:22 PM by Daryl »

Offline FL-Flintlock

• Fire & Iron Mfg.
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2012, 02:19:57 PM »
Strange - standard Euro choke, then a jug choke with a long end-choke (long parallel section before muzzle).

Not quite.  Done properly they're tuned for optimum performance with a specific load, the two-stage w/restriction shown is typically for long-range.  There's only partial restriction between the stages which helps to further slow the lead pellets before they hit the second stage so as to obtain the shortest SSL possible.  Restriction isn't necessary to get "Full" patterns out to 40yds but it does allow for more variations in loads than would otherwise be considered typical.  The one pictured is similar to what's in an extra-long tube I have for a 500 Moss. that according to the tube mfg was supposed to be tuned as "X-Full" for 1.25-1.375oz loads of steel shot.  I tried numerous different loads of steel shot and never got anything better than an IC pattern but that tube does produce an X-Full pattern with 1.125oz of #5 lead shot.