Author Topic: Fowler, need help identifying  (Read 2557 times)

Offline debnal

Fowler, need help identifying
« on: March 12, 2012, 09:04:07 PM »
I think this may be a New England fowler but I am not sure. Would love member's comments. The barrel is a true thick walled .54 caliber fowler barrel and is 45 inches long with a rear sight and a front sight that is four inches from the muzzle.
The lock appears to be a late trade type flintlock converted to percussion. The sideplate throws me. The name E HALL is stamped in the sideplate. The triggerguard looks Pennsylvania to me. Maybe some one can help based on the architecture. Not an expensive treasure but a good honest 19th century American gun.
Al

Offline debnal

Re: Fowler, need help identifying
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 09:36:18 PM »
I took the lock off and the insdie is marked KETLAND with TK under the Ketland. The butt is about 1 7/8 inches wide.
Al

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 12:12:35 AM »
Hello Al-Nice gun; thank you for showing it, here. Your gun has a nice maple stock and good length. The triggerguard appears to be Western PA, as it has the WPA filed chevron on the bow, (as you suggested). The lock looks to be what you have already divulged. that is, a Ketland export lock. Altogether, it looks to me like your gun could have been made in PA somewhere, or if elsewehere, the maker perhaps borrowed some parts from various places. However, even though the architecture would fit into several schools the T'guard puts it into central or western somewhere, in my opinion. Thanks again for bringing it here.
Dick

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 01:00:48 AM »
Al,
I agree with Mr. No Gold that the builder has used some available parts. I would venture to say that what you have is more of a smooth rifle than a fowler given the general architecture and both sights.
Mark
Mark