Author Topic: what school is your favorite .  (Read 11900 times)

billm

what school is your favorite .
« on: March 14, 2012, 05:11:14 AM »
Just curious what everyone thinks..what is your favorite shooting gun, not taking into account looks,as far as feel goes and why.I havent shot alot of different styles of architecture and wonder what you think.
Bill

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
Re: what school is your favorite .
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 07:33:56 AM »
yeager, for all the reasons.
volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 01:45:59 PM »
I got a lot of favorites, but my least favorite for shooting would be any of the curved comb Roman nose styles. I love the way they look, but I think they are just a little punishing on the cheek bone. JMHO

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 03:54:04 PM »
My favorite hunting gun is a copy of a Berks county "Haga" rifle built by Dave Dodds.    It has a 54 cal barrel which is
basically a "Golden Age D weight" but shortened to 39".   I did this because I wanted some weight, which is always better
for off-hand shooting............Don

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 05:10:28 PM »
Lancaster.

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 05:18:21 PM »
I like the feel and looks of the very early, Germanic influence like the E. Marshal rifle.  Taylor's Virginia is also extreemly nice, but for pure shooting pleasure, a mid 19th century English design is my favourite-  as in the rifle I was holding in the picture Taylor posted of our shoot last Sunday.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 05:06:38 PM by Daryl »

Offline Swampwalker

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 05:30:30 PM »
I think people often build so called Roman nosed rifles that are either too light and/or in too large a caliber, which gives the style a bad name.  My late Lehigh in .40 cal with curved comb and plenty of drop is a very comfortable shooting and handling offhand rifle.

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 05:57:00 PM »
I agree, Swampwalker - Taylor's Kuntz .40 is a lovely offhand rifle, no recoil, no crack in the cheek - superb even when shooting offhand,, however try shooting a chunk match with it where you're laying prone. That postition changes the head's attitude and angle along with the recoil properties.  Every shot fired punched the cheek bone mercilessly like being hit in the cheek bone with a hammer handle - CRACK! - every shot was another CRACK! Not something to look foreward to. CRACK! By the end of the match - 15 shots, his cheek was blue/black.  So - type of shooting is imporant. I cannot imagine using my favourite off-hand rifle, that 14 bore noted above, in a chunk match, either. HA!

Offline cmac

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 01:58:17 AM »
I like an early rifle. Mainly the Lancaster and Virginia. Pieces with a heavy butt stock seem to balance things out. Swamped barrels sure are a plus, but I do like some weight(B). Too light and I find I'm swimming. In a fowler I like a LONG barrel

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 02:58:35 AM »
I agree, Swampwalker - Taylor's Kuntz .40 is a lovely offhand rifle, no recoil, no crack in the cheek - superb even when shooting offhand,, however try shooting a chunk match with it where you're laying prone. That postition changes the head's attitude and angle along with the recoil properties.  Every shot fired punched the cheek bone mercilessly like being hit in the cheek bone with a hammer handle - CRACK! - every shot was another CRACK! Not something to look foreward to. CRACK! By the end of the match - 15 shots, his cheek was blue/black.  So - type of shooting is imporant. I cannot imagine using my favourite off-hand rifle, that 14 bore noted above, in a chunk match, either. HA!

I wonder if it would work OK for the plank rest?

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 03:19:09 AM »
I like some of the Maryland rifles, Armstrong and the G. Kreps on page 49 of "The Kentucky Rifle, a True American Heritage" has haunted me for decades but I have never gotten around to making one.
There is a Daniel Border that is really classy. The 1850 dated one pg 19 "The Kentucky Rifle,...Heritage"
I like RCA #48 a lot and built an 18 pound version that needs the barrel and lock colored.
The Antes swivel is a wonderful rifle that I also like a great deal.
I have a modern made 1815ish English Sporting Rifle that is one of the best hunting rifle designs going.
I like Hawken rifles too, but not all of them, some have very narrow buttplates. The buttstock on the silver mounted rifle is narrow and it makes the buttstock pretty slab sided.

My favorite? For what purpose? The rifle has to have a purpose too. They are after all functional art forms.
AND its difficult to properly judge original rifles without handling them or at least looking at them in person.

Dan
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 04:42:59 PM by Dphariss »
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 03:46:37 AM »
I like the early virginia and lancasters with the wide flat buttplates. 38 inch barrels balance perfect for me ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 07:55:51 AM »
For a very long time...years...my favorite rifle was a Beck style. I shot my .50 cal a lot, and hunted deer with it for many seasons. It just felt "right"  But I have to say that my Chambers Edward Marshal is gradually taking over the #1 spot .  I love the look, the lock is spectacular, and it handles  like it is an extension of me. The design manages the recoil of the .62 cal wonderfully. Yes, it is becoming a favorite. :)
 :)

Offline heelerau

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 03:24:29 PM »
Lancaster
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 04:34:24 PM »
Gordon,
Welcome to ALR, good to have you join with us. Looking forward to hear more of the Longrifle culture in Australia.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Daryl

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 05:07:53 PM »
 Taylor's Virginia is also extreemly nice,

This virginia has a "C" weight .50 cal. barrel. It handles perfectlty due to it's weight and weight distribution. At just over 10 pounds, it's just right.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 06:59:03 PM »
Haven't had experience with that many styles but the Lancaster, early Va and Southern Appalachian (SMR, Tn) styles work for me.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline heelerau

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 12:15:57 AM »
Gordon,
Welcome to ALR, good to have you join with us. Looking forward to hear more of the Longrifle culture in Australia.
Dennis
Dennis,
                         thanks for the welcome. There is a fair bit of interest in long rifles over here, we even have the odd rendezvous over in the eastern states. Most of out states have one or more blackpowder rifle clubs with a mixture of military and round ball long rifles being used. Alan Vaisham is the major local custom rifle builder, but we also have quite a number of local hobby riflesmiths. Most use imported parts from the states. The only local barrel maker Trevor Bugg died a couple of years ago and I believe the chap  who bought his equipment only works in fit and starts. I have a couple on Niel Fields rifles, a Leman he made as a gift for my late father, and a Lancaster style .40 cal, 44 inch swamped Collerain barrel and a lovely Jim Chambers lock.  I have also a .50 Missouri stlye rifle and a Jager rifle in .45 these were made by a couple of hobby riflesmiths in South Australia years ago. I get out to hunt occasionally , limited to the odd kangaroo and rabbit. Deer are about over here but ver hard to get onto.  I have found the long guns really good hunting rifles for Australian conditions.
The Lancaster seems to handle a lot better than the later style rifles with there heavy barrels and crescent butplates, seems odd that.  I am located in Western Australia.

Cheers

Gordon
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Daryl

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 05:04:09 PM »
Yes- Welcome, Gordon - nice to hear from you - right here at ALR.   

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2012, 05:27:39 PM »
I've an early Virginia with a straight 42"x7/8" 50cal bbl that is about as perfect  as can get for me.  I've also an early York with a "B wgt" 42" 50 cal that is very close. The butt dims  are the  same and I think that is what is important.
Gene

Offline Telgan

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2012, 09:05:23 PM »
Moravian - Chistian Springs - Christian Oerter

Offline mark esterly

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2012, 12:52:47 AM »
just something about a bucks..............
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

roamer

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2012, 02:47:03 AM »
Bedford

leatherman

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2012, 05:24:14 AM »
I think the Lehigh'swith the stepped wrist's are the most beutiful longrifles but like most I like any thing from a Jaeger to the skinny percusion guns. 

bonron

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2012, 04:28:08 PM »
Ohio State