Author Topic: what school is your favorite .  (Read 11901 times)

Offline Kopfjaeger

Re: what school is your favorite .
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2012, 04:39:07 PM »
I like the Southern Mountain Rifles. 
" A godly man and his rifle deprive sleep from the wicked, A christian man who prays is the defeater of evil, A praying man who will fight is the conqueror of nations and the hope of the oppressed "

MarkEngraver

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2012, 07:24:13 PM »
This one is not easy to nail down for me as I like most all of them, but if I had to pick one it would be the Bucks Co. guns as it has the best of both worlds I think. Lehigh- ish on the bottom (curved) and Lancaster-ish on the top (straight). 
I like the flat bent butt plate styles of the bucks gun also, it's easy to shoulder and comfortable.
And I like side opening patch boxes too.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2012, 08:01:15 PM »
I've an early Virginia with a straight 42"x7/8" 50cal bbl that is about as perfect  as can get for me. 

I had a Va rifle just like that and it was the best shooting off hand rifle I've ever fired.  I killed deer with it, killed targets often with tiny groups in them.  But alas, because of worsening hand problems I had to sell it and get a shorter/lighter one as close to it as I could.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

nosrettap1958

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2012, 08:21:20 PM »
Tennessee Mountain rifle, specifically from an Eastern Tennessee school similar to an Ambrose Lawing or maybe a Soddy Daisy.  This isn't a scientific experiment so please don't quote me in any books and such but I've noticed that the deer are so stunned by its graceful lines and shear beauty that they just stand there admiring it giving me ample time to draw a bead.

However, like picking a specific year for your favorite Corvette, I prefer the Tennessee, but I love them all!!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 05:11:43 AM by crawdad »

Offline George Sutton

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2012, 10:14:35 PM »
I like Southern Mountain rifles.

Centershot

Harnic

« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2012, 03:55:23 AM »
I've always preferred Hawken rifles, especially the earlier fullstock flint version.  The hooked breech is a big plus for easier clean-up.