Author Topic: ID O/U Side slapper  (Read 3760 times)

Offline Longknife

ID O/U Side slapper
« on: March 14, 2012, 05:56:40 PM »
Here is a O/U side slapper that I would like someone to ID. The barrels are round and tapered and 33 3/4 inches. The rifled barrel is about .33 cal and   has four lands and grooves  The smoothbore is about .640. The side slapper mechanism is guite a simple and sturdy device with the sear/trigger mechanism working horizontal instead of vertical. The trigger will set off both barrels if they are both cocked, but they must be cocked at the same time or cocking one, and then the other will trip the sear .

Ed Hamberg

eddillon

Re: ID O/U Side slapper
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 06:56:07 PM »
It sure has a New York look to it.  I'll be receiving my 5 volume set of the "New York Firearms Trade" next week.  I'll see what I can find for you.
Ed

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 06:20:52 AM »
I would agree. If it wasn't made in New York, it was made by a gunsmith who came from there.

Offline nord

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 02:58:02 PM »
Generally we associate the "perch belly" stock with NY. In particular makers from west of Rochester, then onward along the north shore of Lake Erie to Cleveland and beyond. That's the theory anyway.

Actually (as some have already stated) it's better to say that the design has a NY influence. The reason being that by the time this gun was made it was easy for a man to travel anywhere east of the Mississippi.

This was especially the case with lake travel and you'll find many NY guys who migrated to Michigan and Minnesota. Also a number in Illinois and downriver into the territories.

No matter though, your gun shouts NY whether actually made there or not.
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

greybeard

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 11:30:13 PM »
Looks very similar to guns made by Levi Coon of Ithica, NY.
Bob

eddillon

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 01:42:54 AM »
The sideslapper hammers look like the work of Andrew Beeman of  Canandaigua, Rochester and later Livonia, NY.  The lock layout is reminiscent of the layout of a double sideslapper on a Wm Billinghurst O/U.  Billinghurst spent his career in Rochester,NY. That completes  a search of vol. 1 of The New York State Firearms Trade.  I'll keep digging through my new books!
Ed
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 04:20:33 AM by eddillon »

Offline Longknife

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 06:26:28 PM »
Ed, Thanks for looking. I can find NO markings at all on this piece which I find odd as it is very well made and I would be proud to stamp my name on it. I am sure hoping that some little feature might be ID'd to a particular maker. I am wondering about the 4 groove rifling, is that common on N-Y pieces? Thanks, Ed
Ed Hamberg

eddillon

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 09:21:31 AM »
Here is a link to a gun for sale at TOW:  http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/505/1/AAJ-024
The furniture is very similar.