Author Topic: Copy of Hawken lock  (Read 9792 times)

eddillon

Copy of Hawken lock
« on: March 15, 2012, 12:05:21 AM »
Back in the mid 70s, I built a Hawken in .54 on a Douglas XX Supreme with a lock that was a fantastic copy of this lock shown on a full stock in John D. Baird's "Hawken Rifles" on page 25.  Does anyone know who made these copies and if they are still available.  It was a very well made and reliable lock with a hallf-cock fly.  Ready to make another and would like to use one of them.

Offline FALout

Re: Copy of Hawken lock
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 01:04:45 AM »
A pic of the internals would be most helpful.
Bob

eddillon

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 01:14:06 AM »
 :(  Sold the rifle years ago.  Would love to have it back..  Made the stock from a beam out of a 150 year old Vermont barn.  If I remember correctly, it had stirrup type connector between mainspring and tumbler.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 01:44:58 AM »
Ed,
I think I have 3 of them, one with the engraving and two without.  Can't remember if they are kits or complete.  Will check later.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 02:48:06 AM »
That lock is one of mine. I made several in that time frame like that. The hammer and plate dies were made from an original J&S and I think a Texan by the name of William Morgan was the man behind that idea.

Bob Roller

eddillon

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 03:40:07 AM »
I bought it from the "Mountain Man", Luke Swovland in Manitou Springs, CO in 1975.  rewally a great lock.  Couldn't tell the engraving from the original!!  Wish I still had the rifle.  A true tack driver.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 07:21:05 AM »
TOW used to sell a similar lock plate shape years back.
I bought one and ended up changing it to this anyway. Kept the hammer though.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Mtn Meek

• GRRW Collector
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 08:00:26 AM »
That lock is one of mine. I made several in that time frame like that. The hammer and plate dies were made from an original J&S and I think a Texan by the name of William Morgan was the man behind that idea.

Bob Roller

Fascinating to learn that you were the maker of that lock, Mr. Roller.  I knew that William Morgan was the marketer of these locks back in the 70's and 80's, but didn't know you had made them.  No wonder they were so good.

I have a couple of GRRW Hawkens with the Morgan lock.  Here is a picture of one.

These locks were also sold as kits.

I have a similar lock that was made by H. W. Robbins.

The Griffith Tool Co also made a lock in the same style, but it didn't have the engraving.  The Griffith lock is currently available from Dayton Traister.

For those interested, here is another picture of the original Hawken rifle that once was in the Orville Dunham collection
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 05:15:19 AM by Mtn Meek »
Phil Meek

Offline FALout

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 12:48:12 PM »
I've got a Robbins lock waiting for build, have all the parts, just on the back burner for now.  Really well made lock.
Bob

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 02:44:08 PM »
I used only the plates and hammers for this lock. I wasn't aware any kits based on it were available. My locks all have benchcrafted mechanisms and forged springs and are marked with my last name in a semi circle with a date inside the name. Those plates and hammers are still made and Jerry Devaudreuil in Wooster Ohio now owns the dies. I have one of the hammers on order now. Once I find out about the BPH condition that has been a plague to me,I might make up some more of these. A CT scan is scheduled for the 23rd. At this time,I feel fine but this Urologist who is also an Oncologist wants to see if anything is lurking and I appreciate his thoroughness.
If the scan shows no problems,I plan to make some more locks and f it shows a problem,that will be priority one and shop work will be stopped.
Is Harold Robbins still making locks? Years ago at Friendshop,I wanted him to display his locks with mine but he declined the offer.He did a good job on them.

Bob Roller

Offline Ben I. Voss

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 03:02:57 PM »
Bob, I wish you the best and hope that the doc's can fix you up! If all goes well and you want to make any of these locks, you can put me on the list for one or two of them.    Best wishes, Ben Voss

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 04:04:59 PM »
Ben Voss,
Contact me at <wvgzr@webtv.net> with your contact info.

Bob Roller

eddillon

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 05:24:36 PM »
Best wishes and prayers for a clean bill of health, Bob.  Put me down for a lock.
Ed

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 05:45:39 PM »
The hammer and plate dies were made from an original J&S and I think a Texan by the name of William Morgan was the man behind that idea.

OK, I dug them out and I have 3.  All are stamped WM on the back of the plate.  Two are finished locks without the J&S engraving.  The other is a kit, but has the J&S stamp and engraving.  All 3 are straight across the top, not relieved for the snail.

$66 each incl. shipping.  Ed has first dibs, Roger B. has second.
Lemme know!
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 06:51:53 PM »
I'll take the 3rd one Dave, if you pls.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 07:03:44 PM »
OK, as soon as I hear from Ed, I will divvy them up.
Dave Kanger

-S.M. Tomlinson

eddillon

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 01:20:54 AM »
To T*O*F  Please cotact me at eddillon@neconos.com I'll take the engraved plate one.
Thanks,
Ed Dillon

Offline rsells

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 03:59:41 AM »
Message sent about availability of locks.
                                            Roger Sells

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2012, 05:11:15 PM »
I knew where one of these locks lives on a Hawken style rifle built sometime in the 60's or 70's (at least that is what I guess) and so over the weekend I inspected the rifle and removed the lock and it is marked WM on the inside, no other markings on it except on the outside of the lock plate which is as the ones pictured.

eddillon

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2012, 11:06:33 PM »
Hi Poorboy,
Any photos by chance?

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2012, 11:36:04 PM »
Just a little tidbit.  These locks/lock kits were distributed by Waukhon Bay  back in the day and I suspect that Pete Allen did all the castings for them.
Dave Kanger

-S.M. Tomlinson