Author Topic: Flintlock pistol  (Read 3185 times)

Offline wattlebuster

Flintlock pistol
« on: March 15, 2012, 03:39:25 AM »
This pistol has a long story behind it but I will just give ya the short version. I seen a pistol in muzzleloader mag that looked good so I thought I might like one in flintlock version.so here it is. I dont know or care if it is HC/PC and I cant begin to tell ya what school its from. I just wanted a short flintlock to carry with me while hunting just in case of a close range second shot is needed. This is my first pistol build and my first from a blank so I hope ya dont think its too shabby. the specs are as follows. 54 cal 6 inch green mt barrel that I coned for easy loading, a small siler flintlock, trigger an trigger guard are from the log cabin shop (I think). Being its so short I did'nt install a ramrod pipe or entry pipe nor did I install a nosecap. The wood is from Randy at TVM. I was going to do a inside cone touchhole but I messed that up so I had to put a white lighting liner in it. It has 2 coates of LMF nutbrown stain an 15 coates of tru oil rubbed down with 0000 steel wool. I wanted the metal to age natural but I did help it along with some mustard. She shoots pretty good with 30 grns of FFFG pushing a 527 patched roundball. the triggerpull is just right an ignition is very fast. As you can see I made the sideplate which is also a first for me. I want to thank mr Karl Fisher of ohio for his help an inspiration (He knows what Im talking about). Hope yall like  ;D

Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Re: Flintlock pistol
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 03:47:17 AM »
And what's not to like??? That is a very nice piece of work!!! Very nice!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

wilded

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 05:55:51 AM »
It is beautiful.  You can send it to me anytime you stop liking it.  I would love one like that in smoothbore for shot. ;D

greybeard

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 06:04:05 AM »
Looks like it's got "Whampability" Cute.
Bob

billm

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 02:11:54 PM »
Very nice.I often thought I would like a pistol for a close second shot.You should be proud of your work.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 07:07:04 PM »
That's a very handy and well made pistol.  I don't see excessive 'coning'...just a crown, that would benefit from some polishing to break the sharp edges, thereby easing loading.  Excellent barrel inlet BTW.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.