Author Topic: Louie Parker Rifle on Blog Spot  (Read 9556 times)

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
Louie Parker Rifle on Blog Spot
« on: March 15, 2012, 04:10:12 PM »
Guys - it is well worth the time to check out the detail photos of Louie Parker's fantastic bench copy of an original iron mounted rifle that is on Art and Jan's site today.  

http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2012/03/louie-parker.html

This is really an amazing piece of craftsmanship - a great contemporary copy of an equally unique original with many details I have not seen on any other rifle.  The original was found in New Mexico - perhaps a southern piece that went west.  We showed a full length photo of Louie's copy inthe recent CLA article, but you really need to see the detail shots to appreciate Louie's attention to detail.  It has the most ornate patchbox I have seen on an antique iron mounted rifle. Hopefully Louie will post some additional comments about the unique features on this rifle.

Guy
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 04:22:28 PM by G-Man »

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: Louie Parker Rifle on Blog Spot
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 05:00:52 PM »
That is a beautiful rifle.  Louie is a wonderful craftsman.  He had this rifle at the CLA show last year and I spent a good bit of time checking it out.  Great work Louie!

Offline elk killer

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 11:46:03 PM »
very nice rifle,,
i dont get the concept for the hinged trigger guard ??
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 12:04:41 AM »
You're not alone.  I don't know what it was for - easier access to the trigger adjusement screw? Remove the triggers for cleaning/oiling? Hard to say.  Seems frivolous, but then again the original does not seem to have been made for an everyday average customer either. 

GM

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 12:11:55 AM »
I too saw the rifle at the CLA and am in awe not only of Louie's craftsmanship but the overall design appearance of the original that Louie copied. Wouldn't you give good money just to know what area of the country it originally came from! I just can't help but think it was a southern rifle that made the trip west before the south was rounding up all the guns/iron to help fight the ah, aw, the northern armies.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline bgf

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 01:20:48 AM »
It is a spectacular copy of what must be a really special rifle -- too many mysteries around it to risk guessing much.  The triggerguard looks familiar at first, but then it is hinged -- and I spent my spare time today hoping to deliver the "answer" to the question that begs, but it really makes almost no sense from any perspective which I could approach it.

The only thing missing is I would like to see a picture of the tang -- it looks like it could be a lollipop, or does anyone remember what it looked like?

Vomitus

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 07:17:39 AM »
  What a cool rifle! Wow.

Offline louieparker

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 02:51:54 AM »
Thanks for the kind words ..Glad the rifle is appreciated ..I certainly appreciated the orginial rifle ..Wanted to own it with a great passion but was unable to work that out ..Jim Gordan was kind enough to loan  me  the orginial long enough to make the copy..
I can't do it now, but next week if there is somethig you want a closer look at ,I have photos my wife made'' I could probably talk Dennis into posting them. I also have a photo of the guard in the down position,,,,,   Louie

Offline elk killer

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 05:22:45 PM »
so Louie,
in your opinion, whats the hinge for? on the trigger guard,,,
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 09:27:12 PM »
  Congratulations  , Louie.  Well deserved Praise for an exceptional craftsmen . JIM
JIM

billm

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 12:24:14 AM »
Nice work!Very beautiful gun .
Bill

Offline louieparker

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 12:31:57 AM »
The trigger guard on this rifle is a rather complicated piece of machinery..It actually hinges on both ends and the rear extension unlike most rifles sets on top of the wood. When the rear pin is removed the guard drops down like the lever on a Winchester. The reason for this is not known for sure. Could be so the triggers can be removed without removing the guard.. The rear extension is also hinged and consist of three parts and a screw..Again why? Could be he was correcting a problem with the rear end or making it easier for the guard to confirm to the curve of the stock.
I thought it was a bit strange to inlay the two brass bars in the toe plate then engrave the plate as though they weren't there. He cut right across them . There was an area of engraving on the side plate that was mostly gone and what was there made no sense to me ..It didn't relate to the shape of the plate and since I couldn't figure out what he was doing I left it off..
As Guy said there are several things on this rifle that I have never seen on anything else. I don't know who the  maker was but he certainly had a mind of his own.
With a bit of help later today I am going to post photos of the old trigger guard and a shot of this rifle in the white which I think will give you a better view of the trigger plate ..Also a shot of the barrel tang that was ask for and the guard in the down position.
When I started to make the trigger guard I couldn't remove the old one..I wouldn't force it for fear of damaging the gun. I thought I had figured out how it was made and attached . Then after filing for several days and handling the old gun the triggers came loose ..Needless to say my ideas were completely wrong and I was quite surprised at what I saw..
If you have any questions I will try to answer them ........Louie

« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 08:38:59 PM by rich pierce »

Offline bgf

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 12:51:29 AM »
Thank you -- look forward to seeing more.  "Like a Winchester" is something that also came to my mind as maybe a gimmick that would make the muzzleloader look more sophisticated like a breech loader or even a repeater, but that would be useful for only the most gullible/naive of customers or antagonists, and having to take the screw out would spoil the effect.  Also, the style of the guard is a little archaic for that illusion.  The other idea I had was to simulate the way that some Hawken guards attach, but that also seems gratuitous.  Very mysterious, especially if it is hinged at both ends.  Thanks for copying such a good one -- it is not run of the mill!

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 02:22:47 AM »
"Like a Winchester" is something that also came to my mind as maybe a gimmick that would make the muzzleloader look more sophisticated like a breech loader or even a repeater-----------------The other idea I had was to simulate the way that some Hawken guards attach
Remember that neither the Hawken plains rifle nor the Winchester lever action was more than a glimmer in some day dreaming gun makers eye when this rifle was made.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline louieparker

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 02:32:03 AM »
The only thing on this rifle  that is similar to the Hawken, both tang screws go into the trigger plate ...Louie

Offline HighUintas

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2022, 07:43:41 PM »
Dennis, Is it possible to have the missing pictures on this thread restored?

That's a beautiful gun, Louie.

Offline RAT

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2022, 02:30:25 AM »
According to the contemporary makers blog Louie Parker passed away on October 19, 2022.

https://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2022-10-26T07:03:00-04:00&max-results=20&start=10&by-date=false
Bob

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2022, 03:41:48 PM »
Dennis, Is it possible to have the missing pictures on this thread restored?

That's a beautiful gun, Louie.

I am not sure what missing photos you are talking about. Possiblly you can not view the PhotoBucket photos Louies reply here? https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=20949.msg199221#msg199221

I can view the photo but it has the Photobucket logo across the face which is applied at the Photobucket site, probably due to it originally being a free site which now requires payment. But I am not able to remove the logo.
Dennis

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2022, 04:05:05 PM »
I restored the images in a post above.
Andover, Vermont

Offline HighUintas

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2022, 05:56:44 PM »
Thank you!

That is very sad news. I had email corresponded with him a good bit about a rifle but the last one was in September. He seemed like a very nice guy and I love his work.