Author Topic: Scrimshaw question  (Read 5169 times)

jafo20

Scrimshaw question
« on: March 15, 2012, 06:52:14 PM »
Hello,

When you are cutting into a horn with a razor knife are you just scratching the surface to make lines or do you actually carve the lines by cutting a V type trench to make lines?

Thanks

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
Re: Scrimshaw question
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 07:10:47 PM »
Both depending on the look you are going for.  Most of the horns I make I am scratching the surface, not cutting.  But that is the look I want.  There are originals that were cut with deep grooves, some made by files, or saws. 

Coryjoe

jafo20

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 07:13:51 PM »
Is a Xacto knife used to scratch or is there a better tool?

Offline The Original Griz

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 09:10:19 PM »
Both depending on the look you are going for.  Most of the horns I make I am scratching the surface, not cutting.  But that is the look I want. 

Coryjoe
[/quote)

Exactly what he said.
I use an exacto knife with a #11blade broken off real short. Then I remake the blade section so it is very small. When I am done, the cutting edge is only about 3/16" long and close to the handle. I use both technics mentioned but mostly just scratched. I am no scrimshaw artist by any means.
“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
Thomas Jefferson
www.timsannerpowderhorns.com

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 07:24:18 AM »
Everyone seems to have their own solution to tool for scrim.   The exacto with the tip cut back and sharpened  a bit on the broken corner would work.  I like a tool made up with a carbide tip which you can get at Ace Hardware sold for use in a scribe.  Others use large needles.  Fool around a bit on a piece of waste horn to find out which gives you the effects desired.  In the end you will use more than one technique.  I like to scratch with very ligh pressure with the carbide tip for the first cut.  The light pressure lets me get the line through the horn grain without being deflected by the grain.  Then, with that line established I recut with greater pressure to get the depth I need. 

Mike R

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 04:20:14 PM »
For scratching I use a large needle mounted in a handle, and have done most of my scrim work with that tool.  A fine awl would work, too.  I have never used an Exacto knife [didn't know they had them back then  ;)] for scrimshawing. I too have tried the carbide tipped scriber [also a modern device, but awl-like], but it seems to make a 'cruder' line.  For cut lines the knife would be the obvious choice.

jafo20

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 04:43:28 PM »
Thanks everyone for your advice.

Black Hand

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 05:12:32 PM »
I use a needle (harness or something of the size) or a piece of music wire in a handle (wood or antler) sharpened to a 3-sided point.  This allows you to scratch with the point or cut with the edge.  Also works great as a leather sewing awl, which is its' original purpose.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 08:27:16 PM »
Mike R,  If  you have a diamond stone or dremel diamond wheel you can reshape the carbide points from round to more of an ellliptical shaped point which cuts as much as scratches.  I pretty much just use the diamond stone to touch up that scriber point before I start using it as they aren't real sharp out of the package. 

Offline fm tim

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 08:28:44 PM »
Ron Ehlert did a 2 video set on making powder horns.  In it he shows 4 ways of scrimshawing (with examples and his overall comments)

1) With a knife blade. (He uses an Exacto knife). Easy straight lines, more difficult on curves.
2) With a scribe (Basically a hard needle in a handle). Easy curves, harder on straight lines
3) With a push graver (Normal metal push graver). Bolder lines
4) With a hammer graver (Normal chasing metal graver - use whichever you can do better)

Mike R

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 05:04:40 PM »
Mike R,  If  you have a diamond stone or dremel diamond wheel you can reshape the carbide points from round to more of an ellliptical shaped point which cuts as much as scratches.  I pretty much just use the diamond stone to touch up that scriber point before I start using it as they aren't real sharp out of the package. 

Thanks for the tip!