Author Topic: kentucky rifle id and is this worth it??  (Read 3937 times)

Offline blucher

• Starting Member
kentucky rifle id and is this worth it??
« on: March 15, 2012, 09:53:38 PM »
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=277761284

hello,

i'm new to the forum but have enjoyed these posts. Im new to longrifles but have collected old world war 2 bolt rifles for awhile. i was searching around the other day on gunbroker and found this. is this a good price for something like this? and more importantly can anyone i.d. it?

thanks for any help,
tristan

Offline nord

Re: kentucky rifle id and is this worth it??
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 10:29:53 PM »
You understand this is a personal opinion...

This rifle is a shooter at best. The puffery about the walnut stock is just that. No patchbox, no carving, and little artistic merit without even a signature place this gun very low on my desirability list.

The price as it now stands is probably in the upper range of the gun's worth.

My experience with our antique rifles is that it's usually best to buy as good a gun as possible. I'd far prefer a repairable gun in poor shape with a good patchbox and the usually expected bells and whistles to a plain gun in shooting condition.

The thing is that a plain shooter is not at all uncommon and has nothing to add to its basic utility. A better gun combining art with function is always a better investment, except if all you want to do is shoot an antique rifle.

As to the ID, this is a fairly late gun. Unless signed or unless a signed sibling can be found, this rifle will remain unidentified as to the maker. Not really a demerit as this gun stands on its own and is what it is.
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

The other DWS

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 12:22:21 AM »
is it an original or a restock of old parts?  Something about the photo of the lock area makes me wonder.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 04:59:52 AM »
is it an original or a restock of old parts?  Something about the photo of the lock area makes me wonder.

Lots of guns were restocked back in the day by people that really were not gunstockers.
This could have been done back in the day, in the 1930s or the 1960s. From the photo its hard to tell.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Dogshirt

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 05:12:40 AM »
I wouldn't carve my hammer, and I wouldn't carve a rifle, waste of time and adds nothing to what it does. If you like it, buy it.

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 06:01:36 AM »
It's hard to tell from the photos, but I too wonder about it being a re-stock.  The lock panel looks rather crude, but that alone doesn't necessarily mean anything. There are definitely plain guns that still have artistic merit due to architecture, but this isn't really one of them.
The lack of a maker's name doesn't enhance the value either. If you are thinking of it as a shooter, I would want to know that it has a good bore. The price seems a bit high for this particular rifle.  If I were you, I'd probably keep looking for a better one.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 09:17:22 PM »
Lot's of decent inexpensive guns show up on Gunbroker, but this isn't one of them.

If it were me, and unless you have a burning desire to blow $725, I'd wait for something better.

John

John Robbins

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 09:47:21 PM »
I had the "clone" of this rifle in .36 cal with a 44 inch barrel and marked "TT".  It had a pewter nose cap.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320