Author Topic: Sideplates  (Read 3446 times)

DB

Sideplates
« on: March 16, 2012, 06:04:13 AM »
What is a good way to make sideplates?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Sideplates
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 06:13:54 AM »
To make one I cut them from brass that is .100 to .125 thick then bevel with a file. I design them after inletting the lock, drilling for lockbolts and doing some preliminary defining of the lock and sideplate panels. From the rear lockbolt to the front, the sideplate mirrors the lockplate in overall dimensions.
Andover, Vermont

Offline sz

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 06:29:27 AM »
I also do it the way Rich does it.

If I need something fancy, I cut the shape out of flat stock with a jewelers saw and solder it to a bar of steel, then chisel it.   I have done custom side plates for new builders too, because they want to make their own rifle but are not experienced enough to make such a plate.
I cut and chisel nice ones out and se4ll them for about $50 to $125 depending on how fancy they want them.  It makes for a classy rifle or pistol that has something unique on it, and still lets them build it themselves.

Here are a few examples.

JohnTyg

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 07:06:54 AM »
As a beginner I can tell you all the mistakes not to make since I am new enough to be able to remember them.  I used 1/8 in brass and cut it out roughly.  You can then fit it unfinished/un-beveled and un-inlet.
It is then easy to take a black marker and draw out the finished product so it fits your lock plate.
Make sure your lock plate bolt is low enough and the pin for the trigger guard either under the lockplate or high enough not to interfere with the lower edge of the panel.

Best regards,
John

JohnTyg

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 07:15:00 AM »
Here is the almost finished product, You can see my lock plate bolt was a little high and I had to relocate my trigger guard pin. These are mistakes I wont make on my next rifle

Vomitus

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 07:34:54 AM »
Wow,Steve!
 Are the pistols your pattern? The right handed one looks JP Beck with the cannon type barrel. PM sent.

Offline cmac

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 01:10:59 AM »
I don't think I've used more than 1 pre made side plate. Either the lock bolts aren't just where I want them or the shape is off a bit. I have burned threw jewlers saw blades and had less filing to do or used a hack saw and had more. I also get the shape cut and bevel the sides down. The end result though I'm more satisfied with. Getting this way with most parts...I'd rather do it myself

Bentflint

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 06:12:23 PM »
Me too, I find it almost impossable to get a sideplate that fits the way I want it to. After the lock is installed and screwed on I drill both holes in a plate blank and use the lock as a template. That way the tail and bottom of the plate is where I want it.

The last one I made, about a week old now.

Started with .100" brass, inlet .040" stands out of the wood just under .060".

Bruce