Author Topic: TN rifles and single triggers  (Read 4960 times)

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
TN rifles and single triggers
« on: March 16, 2012, 10:56:04 PM »
I'm about to build a little .32 TN rifle, but would like to use a single trigger instead of a DST.  One problem is that I can't seem to find any originals that use a single trigger and I'm not sure what a TN single trigger looked like.  My guess is that a trigger is a trigger, but I don't want to use something that is completely inappropriate.  My second probem is finding a commercially available trigger guard that doesn't look really awkward with a single trigger.  Most seem to have really large bows for DSTs and they just look strange to me with a single trigger.  No forge or the knowledge to use one with or I would try to make one that suits me.  Should I change to an NC style or just go ahead with what is available?
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline JDK

Re: TN rifles and single triggers
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 11:33:45 PM »
Roger,  I have used this trigger guard in the past and it the bow is a nice size.  Barely fits Southern double triggers so should not look bad at all with a single....bow is more round than the others.  http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/950/1/TG-NC-I

Don't know what to suggest for a trigger other than to make one that looks simple.  J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline JDK

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 05:09:36 AM »
Roger, Found this rifle in the archives.....the "Whale" rifle.  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=4004.0  Not your typical Tennessee rifle but it has a single trigger.  J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 02:38:13 PM »
I really appreciate that!  I remember seeing that rifle on the board but had completely forgotten about it.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline JDK

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 05:30:29 PM »
Glad I could help.  Maybe some other folks will have a few ideas.  J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 07:02:24 PM »
I am glad you asked this question.  I am starting a build for a mountain rifle, and my brother in law may just want a single trigger.  I was wondering if it would be breaking some kind of ancient code to put one on a mountain rilfe, even if most originals had the doubles.

Coryjoe

greybeard

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 10:18:47 PM »
I am glad you asked this question.  I am starting a build for a mountain rifle, and my brother in law may just want a single trigger.  I was wondering if it would be breaking some kind of ancient code to put one on a mountain rilfe, even if most originals had the doubles.

Coryjoe
Ho Coreyjo.   This is only my thoughts on this topic but if I were to do a southern rifle with a single trigger I would be inclined to it shape somewhat similar to the shape of the back trigger on a double set with a fairly pronunced curve. That make any sense ???
   Cheers     Bob

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 10:41:53 PM »
When the limited resources that were then available to makers of "Mountain Rifles" are considered,it would appear that most anything looking iike a useful part would be used. I saw one years ago that had a single trigger and it was obviously from an Enfield rifled musket and I'd bet that the guard was an old screen door handle. There is no uniformity about hand made guns. The famed Hawken rifles had a lot of similarity from one to the other but what little uniformity they had was when some of the butt plates and trigger bars were cast at a foundry from iron. I think it was the Merrimac Iron Works.
I really like these "hard times"rifles and they reflect determination and ingenuity that was born of necessity.

Bob Roller

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 11:44:44 PM »

Coryjoe
Coryjoe I just sent you photos of one.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 12:07:03 AM »
Since you're dealing with an iron guard, don't be afraid to consider cutting, and rewelding.  You can take out a 1/4" to 3/8", and reweld to get the bow you want.  I've done that twice. I don't have the skill to do it, but a local guy does it for about $5 a pop.  Easy way to shorten and add, and fix those ever occurring oops.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline okieboy

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 02:50:09 AM »
 One approach to this would be to choose your trigger guard first and then make your trigger shape match the shape of the back of the trigger bow. If the back of the bow was deeply curved, then the trigger would also be deeply curved, if the back of the bow had a goodly straight area then the trigger could be a simple straight bar (this appeals to me). I think that a straight trigger makes finding the sweet spot on your trigger finger easier, but that may just be a personal preference.
Okieboy