Author Topic: 2f mixed with 3f  (Read 3749 times)

FRJ

2f mixed with 3f
« on: March 16, 2012, 11:32:52 PM »
I just accidentally mixed some 2f with a horn of 3f and need to know if its allright to shoot it using 3f data or do I have to throw it all out? Thank You, FRJ

Offline bob in the woods

Re: 2f mixed with 3f
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 11:46:04 PM »
Mix it, and shoot it.  If you are using 3F data, you will not have a problem. I know of one fellow who mixes 2 and 3 F intentionally  :)

FRJ

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 03:09:01 AM »
Thank you Bob. I'll be shooting it tomorrow and feel much better about it due to your response. FRJ

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 06:12:09 PM »
Like Bob, said there will be no problems. Velocity and pressure will be slightly higher than a similar charge of only 2f, that is all- or lower vel. and pressure if you usually use only 3f for that 'given' load.

Vomitus

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 09:18:32 PM »
  Good to know. I've had this happen once and still have a pound of such.Labeled "Bomb Powder". I'll try it in the smoothie. You never know, it might be the "cats meow"!

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 12:03:19 AM »
Spoke with 'El Gore some time ago concerning granualtions used 'back then' as other designations were quite prevelent in some areas.

In removing loads from rifles, smoothbores and cecking the powder granulation size as well as checking small bore ammo, the norm seemed to be a mix of what today would be called a 50/50 split of 3F and 2F.  Such is life.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 12:44:00 AM »
Yes, as I said, I know a fellow here who intentionally mixes 3 and 2 F  50/50.  He claims /thinks it works better in his rifle . [.45 cal ]   He does very well in the matches, so I'm in no position to say differently. :)

FRJ

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 02:22:17 AM »
Well I mixed it up really good and put it back in my horn. Shot it today out of my new to me 45 cal flintlock and  was very impressed. Probably about a 50/50 mix and it ignited very fast with 4F priming. Accuracy was great and I'm excited!!!!! This is the first  time I've been able to practice shooting it offhand and the first five or so shots I was flinching from  the flash in the pan. As soon as I got used to that I punched the center out of the target at 35yards!!! Now more and more offhand only practice to get the same kind of groups at 75 and 100 yards and I'll be a happy camper. FRJ

Offline LH

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 01:27:14 PM »
I had some Elephant once that was so nasty I didnt want to use it and I mixed some of that fffg with some Swiss fffg and it worked alot better.  I only tried a small batch.  Felt like I was pouring doo doo into my Swiss powder.   ;D

Offline Kopfjaeger

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 05:42:59 AM »
Just use 3F data, you'll be fine.
" A godly man and his rifle deprive sleep from the wicked, A christian man who prays is the defeater of evil, A praying man who will fight is the conqueror of nations and the hope of the oppressed "