Author Topic: New England Gun  (Read 4308 times)

Offline vtbuck223

New England Gun
« on: March 31, 2012, 11:26:05 PM »
I picked up what appears to be a typical New England buck and ball gun???  I haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet...like pull the barrel, lock, or even get the patchbox to open. Any knowledge or resources concerning these guns would be appreciated. There doesn't seem to be a lot out there...?...?...I have Merril's book on NE guns which aside from having some nice pictures is just a horrible reference.....

Offline JV Puleo

Re: New England Gun
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 01:32:35 AM »
Nice... it probably began life as a flint rifle. It looks as if the whole lock was replaced when converted and it was probably bored out at the same time. Does it say "Amherst MS"? I can't read the last part of the inscription.

You're absolutely right about the Lindsey book... unfortunately it is about all that's out there. ML did collecting a big disservice with that book... he discouraged anyone else from tackling the job while doing a near useless job himself.

jp

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 02:03:49 AM »
Great old gun. What a find! Have to agree with Joe, the lock appears to have been made as a percussion.
Glad that you brought it by. The Stearns family were large in the history of San Diego County back in the early to mid 1800s. Abel Stearns was a merchant, rancher and so forth. I think that he married into an old Californio family when he came out here. Thanks again.
Dick 

Offline vtbuck223

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 02:43:31 AM »
I believe that it says Chas G  Stearns  Amherst N.H.....but those fancy script letters sometimes leave me guessing.  Here is another picture....maybe a little easier to see those last letters.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 05:21:37 AM by vtbuck223 »

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 02:59:40 AM »
You just keep turning up neat stuff Jeremy, I need to start following you around!   ;D

Frank

Offline vtbuck223

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 03:41:09 AM »
Frank....If I had half of your knowledge and know-how I'd be dangerous ;)

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 04:31:17 AM »
I think your well on your way my friend!   ;)

Frank

Offline vtbuck223

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 02:56:22 PM »
In Merrill's book he mentions "Worcester style patchboxes"....does this patchbox fall into that category? Also...would this gun have served Mr. Stearns for the purpose of his militia service or would he have had another for that? Also...the patchbox is not opening...there is a button in the heel extension of the buttplate...it seems to want to... but just isn't releasing. I'm not familiar with how this release works...should I have to stick something in there to try and get it to open. It may make sense to start by taking off the buttplate...that might help?

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 04:58:39 PM »
I wouldn't pay too much attention to Lindsey. He is probably referring to the "clock" style patchboxes. Yours is a variation on that theme, not common but not unknown either. I've had two of them at least. As to militia service... yes if he belonged to a rifle company though the fact that Mr. Sterns lived in NH leads me to think there is a chance he hunted with this rifle - or  hunted and did his militia service with the same gun. At least there were big animals to hunt in NH in 1820. The conversion to percussion may suggest this also, though not very conclusively. Percussion ignition was well known in NE by 1825 and the requirement that each militiaman furnish his own arm wasn't suspended until 1832... (oops, in Mass. - I don't know when, or even if, this requirement was dropped in NH. It may have been in effect until the Civil War.)

Since you have a place and a full name, you may be able to run down some information on him. I'd start with the LDS Family history web site but you can also contact the HS in Amherst. For all we know, they have the muster rolls of the local militia companies. If he was a wealthy merchant he probably didn't hunt... if he was a farmer, quite possibly.

Offline vtbuck223

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 08:09:22 PM »
Thanks JVP....put me in for the first copy when you decide to write that book! As I get around to doing the research and taking this gun apart....I'll post anything else that I find of interest. By the way...gun is 56 inches long and the bore is about .60 cal.