Author Topic: patch diameter ratio  (Read 4546 times)

The other DWS

patch diameter ratio
« on: March 19, 2012, 04:28:55 AM »
is there a ratio of ball diameter to patch diameter for accurate shooting with pre cut patches.

I have a small arbor press and I am thinking of making a cutter out of steel tubing  somewhat like a harness punch that would let me cut patches out of multiple layers of patch fabric.

Since I'll be making patches for .54, .50, .40, and now .29 cal rifles  I thought that there might be a rule of thumb for proper patch diameter relative to the ball size.

mjm46@bellsouth.net

Re: patch diameter ratio
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 01:37:47 PM »
As a minimum size I wrap a ball with cloth and cut it off even with the ball like you were cutting it at the muzzle. then you can figure a patch diameter from that. As long as your making a custom size.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 01:58:24 PM »
I wonder if you could recover one of your shot patches and up that size by half inch or so.    Smylee

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 03:20:28 PM »
Try ball diameter times 2.57 for the same patch diameter as if you cut at the muzzle.   

The other DWS

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 03:43:15 PM »
2.57 eh?    thats the kind of ratio I was hoping for.   How did you calculate that?   surface area of a sphere?   I recognize it as a topological problem but I'm mathematically challenged---I know just enough to run and hide when I see it coming.

Obviously the patch has to wrap more than half of the ball but how much more that?  I suppose the muzzle cut patch has evolved as the optimum.

I guess I could simply buy a selection of factory precuts for different calibers and measure them and calculate from that.   .54 .50 .40 are fairly standard I imagine.  just wondering about the .29---doubt I'll find many factory cut patches for that.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 08:09:03 PM »
.30 - .39 roundball = 0.75 diameter
.40 - .49 roundball = 1.13 diameter
.50 - .59 roundball = 1.38 diameter
.60 - .69 roundball = 1.52 diameter

These sizes will give inclusive results for the calibers within their range
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 09:24:53 PM »
2.57 eh?    thats the kind of ratio I was hoping for.   How did you calculate that?   

If the ball is pushed down even with the muzzle, then the path the patch follows around the contour is:  1/2 the ball diameter down to where the ball is at full diameter,  pi/2*diameter around the ball, then 1/2 the diameter again back up to the muzzle.  You end up with diameter*(1 + pi/2) or 2.57*diameter. (The numeric value of Pi being 3.14159...)

The thing to keep in mind is that 2.57* ball diameter is the diameter of the patch you'd get if you cut at the muzzle.   If you've pre-cut the patches, you need to take some care that the ball is well centered on the patch.   Cutting with a knife at the muzzle the ball is automatically centered on the patch.

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 10:14:42 PM »
Thanks for the 2.57ratio.  I will store that in the old memory bank.  Then again, I should probably write it down.  The memory bank has a tendency to self-clear these days.

I have been determining the diameter by wrapping patch material in a U around the ball, marking it at the top of the ball and measuring it. That gives me the minimum patch diameter, but I don't hesitate to use patches cut for somewhat larger calibres - doesn't seem to affect accuracy.

I have a small arbor press and I am thinking of making a cutter out of steel tubing  somewhat like a harness punch that would let me cut patches out of multiple layers of patch fabric.

I haven't had much luck with the punch type cutters.  I had difficulty getting them to cut cleanly.  I made patch cutters to fit my drill press, and they will cut very cleanly through a good size stack of material.  I understand some folks grind the teeth off appropriate size hole saws and sharpen the edge - a whole lot easier than making a cutter on a lathe. DUH... why didn't I think of that!

Laurie

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 01:38:04 AM »
Heck,   don't   over engineer the thing. Cut in strips,    shove one end under your belt to be handy and cut em at the muzzle after applying a good dose of spit.  Much less ditzing around....

Offline LH

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 01:31:55 PM »
There was an article in Muzzle Blasts several years ago by the Bevel Brothers where they compared pre-cut, square cut,  and cutting at the muzzle and there was a difference.  Not much and certainly nothing an offhand shooter would notice, but a repeatable difference.  Cut at the muzzle shot best.  Centering up pre-cut patches is the problem. 

The other DWS

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 04:03:01 PM »
This is all real helpful and educational.    And yeah, I do tend to over-think a lot of this stuff.  I get fascinated with the how and why of things.

I like the simplicity of using a strip and cutting at the muzzle.  I like knives a whole bunch too, so anything that gives me an excuse for a new one is welcome.   HOWEVER,  I am thinking about the problems that strips and cutting might present if you were to spend a day at the range.  I get dry mouth too easy as it is ;D.

How do you guys handle it when you are doing one of those woods walk/run matches---chaw on a wad of cloth while you are running.  with my luck I'd trip on a root, and wind half swallowing it and choke to death.

Since I'll be trying to get the "new-to-me" .29 fired up and running over the weekend--I hope, and of course the smaller the bore the more sensitive guns are to ANY variations.  I'm thinking more along the lines of pre-lubed patches    I guess the logical thing to do is to prelube strips or larger patches, keep them in a container, and then cut them at the muzzle.