Author Topic: eyes aint what they used to be  (Read 5883 times)

frontier gander

eyes aint what they used to be
« on: March 19, 2012, 05:47:51 AM »
Got so frustrated today with my german blade sight/buckhorn rear sight i came less than 24 hours away from having traded the entire gun off!

In the end i ordered some adjustable fiber optic sights for her that hopefully will help me out. I run the sights on an ol 3030 of mine and they are super crisp and easy on the eyes, so i am hoping for the same kind of results. It will be kinda nice not having to file down a sight every time i go to try something else in the rifle.

We'll see how it works out when they come in.

The other DWS

Re: eyes aint what they used to be
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 06:12:10 AM »
just a couple ideas.  I have been finding that using a thin rectangular bladed file to widen and deepen the rear notch in  REALLY improves the sight picture for my aging eyes.

Also I have a friend that is experimenting with using a set of "rare earth" magnets to mount some types of sights including steel scope bases as well as flat bottomed adjustable sights on the top flat of octagonal barrels without having to drill and tap into antique barrels---this is for antique single shots that generate more recoil that the typical roundball rifle.  I imagine that with a little filing and grinding on the sight base and a couple of those magnets a folding Lyman tang sight could be stuck on the tang/breech of many Ml rifles

frontier gander

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 08:08:43 AM »
i tried widening the rear sight but nothing improved. It originally had a very low front sight which looks nice, but completely impossible to use. It was thin, but the glare it offered when the sun is out was horrible. Not to mention that with the sights being so low, you can to let the barrel cool down or else the heat waves really had you thinkin your eyes were going nuts.

Offline The Original Griz

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 11:33:58 AM »
what about painting a band around the rear sight with one color and the front blade with another color. It may give the same effect as the fiber ones without giving up the iron sights and may make seeing them easier.
“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
Thomas Jefferson
www.timsannerpowderhorns.com

The other DWS

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 03:26:38 PM »
Front sights are a real problem, for most of us I think--at least those of us one the downhill side of 50.  I have always been puzzled by the tiny front sights I have seen on originals  I too have a hard time with them.
 Has anyone ever done a study of Long-rifle sights?  So much of our study seems focussed on the "art" elements

The only way I can make the shiny silver or brass blades work is to blacken them and cut the notch wide and deep enough to see some daylight on each side.  however black sights don't work real well in some light conditions and on some targets.  Maybe the heavily forested eastern woodland environment of the 18th and early 19th century made a more reflective front sight more desirable

Then there is the mirage issue.  For a hunter with a cold barrel it is not a major problem.  For the target shooter who is firing shot after shot its a different story and I have no idea how to ameliorate it.  maybe some of the active target shooters could tell us more.

As a matter of historical accuracy for the period of the rifle I can only speculate that THEY as a rule had better eyes than we do.  I have long wondered if OUR lifetimes of reading, watching TV, and living under artificial light a large part of the day is part of OUR problem.  Then too maybe those of THEM who had bad vision stuck to shotguns rather than rifles or just didn't shoot (at least for long enough to contribute much to the gene pool ???)   Most of the celebrated shooters of the past were noted as having exceptional vision.

Late (Not sure when) in the ML era the brits developed the front sight that became know in the US as the Beach or Beech it had a pivoting two blade setup with the blades at 90 degrees to each other.  one a fairly hooded ivory bead.  if you flipped it down it brought up a fairly square black post.  I believe it was first developed for African and Asian dangerous game rifles.  In the US marbles and later Lyman made versions of it.  I have used them on early style Black powder cartridge era single-shot rifles and if I were to create a hunting only longrifle I'd probably use that type on it.

Offline prairieofthedog

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 06:05:44 PM »
Frontier Gander,Hope the fiber optics work for ya.I thought  they would work for me on my turkey gun,but they are so bright that the sights are really fuzzy.Even my 21 year old son's eyes did not like them and we took them off.

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 02:31:19 AM »
Yea, fiber optic sights were/are too bright for me.  I use a wider front sightundercut a tad and blackened .  Rear sight is opened and square.  Merit optical disc is used at the range.
TC
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

alsask

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 04:38:40 AM »
I have the best results with a rear sight that shows a sliver of daylight on both sides of the notch.  I allways smoke up my sights with a lighter before shooting as well.  It prevents glare.

leatherman

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 05:46:32 AM »
I got a tip from an earlier thread on this subject that has worked for me. Use a front sight that is at least 90 degrees to the barrel and flat at the rear, not rounded. Then file a 1/16" 45 degree flat angle on the top 1/16" of the blade. In most angles to the sun this 45 angle shines back at you like a bead sight. Leave it bright but blacken the rest of the blade. The rear sight is up to what works best for you as the front sight is more important than the rear as our eyes get older and cant focus on the rear anyway. I go back and forth linning up the sights then concentrate on the front sight and the target at the end.

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 06:38:09 PM »
Sounds like your making express sights... That V shape is supposed to be really good for the eye to line things up. 

Might also try using one of those suction cup peep sights you put on your glasses.  Allows your eye to focus different.  Something like this... http://www.meritcorporation.com/products.html or http://www.midwayusa.com/product/936878/lyman-hawkeye-shooters-diopter-optic-aid There are different ones and I have seen some guys just make their own. Its not just for old guys... Back in school had a guy on the shooting team with eye focus issues and this worked for him.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 06:41:51 PM by Chris Treichel »

frontier gander

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 07:51:33 PM »
was using something like that as well. The company that made these though was forced to shut down or be sued for copy right issues  >:( Should have bought more.

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 10:14:49 PM »
For the electrical tape method... just use a small leather punch to make the hole.

frontier gander

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 12:09:48 AM »
woohooo!! They came in today, had them on in a matter of minutes and then went outside to sight her in. LOVE THEM! I could have got away with the lower .315" front sight but thats okay, i can always update later down the road. Got her stacking them at 60 yards perfectly 3" above the bulls eye, directly on the line.  We'll see how she does at 100 yards when the right weather is on my side.

frontier gander

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 07:33:39 PM »
Shes ready! Its nice to be able to see them sights and target again LOL.

60 yard target. The lower-left holes were me adjusting sights when i first started. Big hole in the  target above center is 3 shots. Going out here in a bit to take 1 shot at 75 yards, make adjustments and then move out to 100 yards.

Very nice sight set up and they focus clearly for me. Should be good to go come September.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 07:36:11 PM »
Is that your smart phone hanging on the butt of that rifle??
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

frontier gander

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2012, 08:44:28 PM »
a little piece of rubber foam to extend the LOP just a touch.