Author Topic: Sand casting/wax casting  (Read 3988 times)

Offline Eric Smith

Sand casting/wax casting
« on: March 19, 2012, 06:27:40 PM »
Are there any good tutorials on sandcasting/ wax casting for butt plates and trigger guards?
Eric Smith

Offline JDK

Re: Sand casting/wax casting
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 10:09:47 PM »
Here's a link to some work at Martin's Station that has a photo spread link. http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=1066.0
If you use Google or whatever your favorite search engine is and just search "sand casting" you will find a ton of information, including videos.  The craft is universal and not just for gun building so don't narrow your search to buttplates and triggerguards.  Enjoy, J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 02:54:04 AM »
Hi,
Here is a link, which gives you the basic idea of sand and clay casting.  Wax of course is much different.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=4843.0

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 03:00:00 AM »
There used to be a VERY good video available by Terry Leeper which focused upon casting a buttplate and triggerguard in petrobond sand (which believe me, is what you want to use if you are using sand).  It basically gave me a big practical jump and if you have most of the equipment you need, you can pretty much go right from the video to casting your own.  They did use a gas furnace and he had a helper for the pour, but doing it in an open forge by yourself really isn't much different, just more work.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Swampwalker

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 05:14:44 PM »
I would be interested to any useful links to sources of supply for casting sand, crucibles, tongs, etc.
Thanks!

omark

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 05:36:28 PM »
swamp, you may want to google "iforgeiron". it is a blacksmithing site and will have sources for tongs, etc.    mark

Offline fm tim

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 06:27:05 PM »
Might want to stick with sand casting.  Lost wax casting is pretty technical and complex

Offline James Wilson Everett

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 07:07:46 PM »
Guys,

I do not do my own casting, but I do make the patterns.  I get sand castings done to my wood/epoxy/JBweld patterns at 18th century Hardware, Derry, Pa.  You can also use an original part for the pattern.  You coat the original with a nice thick coat of 5 minute epoxy - about 1/32 inch thick on all surfaces.  Use this as the pattern for sand casting.  The epoxy gives the extra thickness for the casting shrinkage and the filing/polishing.  After you are done, put the pattern in a can of acetone, the epoxy disappears leaving the original surface undamaged - including the old patina.

Always get 2 pieces cast at least, then you can use one for the pattern.  The wood patterns have a short life.

Jim

Offline Captchee

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 08:39:05 PM »
I would be interested to any useful links to sources of supply for casting sand, crucibles, tongs, etc.
Thanks!
this is where i got my foundry  from .
 past making your  paterns and the Brass.  the basic foundry will give you everything you need  to cast items the size of buttplates or Trigger guards .  make you a larger C&D and you can do larger scale  pieces
http://www.foundry101.com/search.htm

Offline Swampwalker

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 10:21:44 PM »
Thanks for the info everybody.  Did some sand casting many years ago and getting a furnace put together now to try it again.