Author Topic: Removing a frizzen spring  (Read 8361 times)

DB

Removing a frizzen spring
« on: March 20, 2012, 09:45:00 AM »
What is the best way to remove and replace a frizzen spring?

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
Re: Removing a frizzen spring
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 12:50:43 PM »
Without breaking it is the smart answer.  To do this I use a small C clamp.  First rotate the frizzen so the frizzen spring is at maximum compression.  Place the C clamp over the spring at the closest possible location to the frizzen and tighten the clamp only enough to compress the spring to relieve the pressure against the frizzen foot.  You can now remove the spring by removing the inside or outside screw that secures the spring.   Now slide the spring straight out the little tit may stick a bit but it will come out....   
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

dannybb55

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 12:53:34 PM »
The elegant solution is a frizzen spring tool. I will forge a few up tonight and post them on the site.
           Danny

The other DWS

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 01:15:31 PM »
I have used one of those small 3 or 4 inch cheap vise grips.  I have ground the serrations off of, and polished the jaws so they don;t scratch the spring and create "stress-risers".  I also reworked the ends of the jaws to make them less bulky.  I don't use them to compress the spring, but to hold it once the frizzen compresses it.  the adjustment screw on the vise-grip lets me set the minimal amount of compression needed to get the springs in and out so I don;t accidentally over compress them.

Offline flehto

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 03:38:31 PM »
I compress the frizzen spring w/ the frizzen, apply a few layers of masking tape onto the spring and a clamp w/ vise grips. The tape prevents the vise grip jaws from slipping and marring the spring.....Fred

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 03:43:08 PM »
I own a Dave Motto "cramp", the simplest thing you have ever seen or used.   It is made from 1/4" round stock, merely
hook it over the front of the spring and put a slight upward pressure on the spring and remove the screw....done......Don

Offline elk killer

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 04:07:53 PM »
just use a main spring vise
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 04:18:26 PM »
I use a hand vise... they come in handy for these little jobs ;)

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 04:18:36 PM »
I'm with Don.  For years I used a small mainspring vise.  A year or so ago, I finally took a little time and made a cramp or whatever you call it from a piece of 1/4" square stock.  Works slick as can be and is far easier than futzing with a vise or clamp.  
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 07:25:21 PM by Jim Kibler »

Offline heinz

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 04:39:18 PM »
I use a small machinists toolmakers parrallel clamp.  Works great.  Looks like these that I have never bought so know nothing about.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Machinist-Toolmakers-Parallel-Clamps-1-Pair/T10079
kind regards, heinz

Offline Swampwalker

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 05:09:11 PM »
I use a small mainspring vise, 'upside down' (small end on the working side of the spring).  Works perfectly, never felt the need for anything else.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 05:17:44 PM »
Lucky R A. We are on the same page. I have used this method for decades and the miniature C"clamp is the tool.

Bob Roller

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 05:59:01 PM »
I use a small machinists toolmakers parrallel clamp.  Works great.  Looks like these that I have never bought so know nothing about.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Machinist-Toolmakers-Parallel-Clamps-1-Pair/T10079

I have a set of these. Really great clamps, I use them for lots of things. I was wondering where to get another set.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 09:04:50 PM »
Just telling you guys, use the cramp type device and you'll not want to use anything else.  Been there done that!

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 11:19:17 PM »
IF someones got the time, a picture of a cramp device would be helpful.

Offline John Archer

• I solemnly swear that I am up to no good
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 11:26:00 PM »
IF someones got the time, a picture of a cramp device would be helpful.

Page 3 Line 5 in Shop Made Tools.

John.
I cannot be left unsupervised.
(Sent from my immobile dial-operated telephone)

dannybb55

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 02:57:10 AM »
http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo290/fllintlock/Frizzen_Spring_Tool.jpg
 Here is one of the frizzen tools that I made a few years back in response to the same question. the price is still 5 bucks plus shipping.
                    Danny