Author Topic: Thank you for all of you input  (Read 2395 times)

lakehopper

Thank you for all of you input
« on: March 20, 2012, 10:25:34 PM »
As you know I asked about what load would work best for a 54 cal flint lock to harvest a boar; Well yesterday I shot a BIG BOAR, weighed in at around 190lb dressed ;D ;D ;D,  Your suggestions both personal and posted helped me in deciding what was working for this gun.

I shot him with a.535 ball, 90 grains 2f powder, .015 oiled patch, It took 5 shots to finally stop him 4 of the shots were average 50 yards one being 75 ( which I clearly missed him ) all shots were in his shoulders and one right behind the shoulder when his leg was extended forward and that shot dropped him. What an exciting time I had following him over the mountainside. The fat on the pig prevented any blood trail so it became a hide and seek routine. After gutting him he had a hole in the heart, nicks in his lung but the guts were in tact.

Yes it was in a controlled environment with a guide and fenced borders. Pictures will follow when I figure that step out to post the pictures.

I do want to thank Don and John Getz for a great barrel and Mark Wheland for putting that barrel into a beautiful stock of sugar maple to make it a working piece of art.

Glenn

Vomitus

Re: Thank you for all of you input
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 10:52:23 PM »
Glenn,
 Nice job! You had some good help with your shooter.
 I need to ask, what kind of penetration did you get with your load? Did they pass right through?
 I've been watching hunting shows etc. about feral pigs stateside and this looks like it would be a hoot with a longrifle. Got me wondering how much gun is needed for big pigs?

lakehopper

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 11:11:23 PM »
Only one ball passed through from the left shoulder which broke his shoulder and went through his right front chest as if he was looking at you. Even during the butchering we did not find one ball, I know we will find them for sure when we have company and they bite into one ::) Even with three legs he just would not stop moving.

I took 6 speed loaders instead of using a powder horn. I loaded the gun before we left the ranch and took the six speed loaders along. It was great fun and my guide was impressed by the accuracy of the iron sights and of course the flint lock. I purchased pig targets which helped alot with shot placement for the real deal, they are just tough son of a guns.

My buddy used a 30/06 180 grain and one shot at 75 yards and the pig ran 50 yards and dropped dead.

Leatherbelly I tried every combo of loads, patch and size ball until I had a cosistent groups at 50 yards and I am really glad I used the .535 instead of the .530; That .535 punched a nice hole in the pig until the fat filled the wound, that I could not believe the fat would stop the bleeding process

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 11:25:07 PM »
Well, congratulations Glen.  Pigs can be tough, for sure. You mentioned nicks in the lungs, not ball holes? Were other  balls being stopped in the shoulder or were no other side shots presented? I know pushing one up from the rear ribs and behind the ribs can be a real grunt but that's why they invented 16 and 14 bore rifles.

lakehopper

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 11:37:13 PM »
Daryl the nicks in the lungs we think was either lead or bone shrapnel, Two shots were side shots one broke his forward left leg the other entered just behind the right shoulder. Three were leading shots from the rear of the  shoulders hoping to penetrate the lungsand exit forward as one did. I did not shoot at the neck for fear of ruining a shoulder mount for my middle room

And thank you