Author Topic: 3 in one lube  (Read 5226 times)

roamer

3 in one lube
« on: March 21, 2012, 04:14:21 AM »
I read constantly how u guys dont have to swab after each shot,I do.
After cleaning my guns I use 3 an 1 oil in the barrel could that be the problem

FRJ

Re: 3 in one lube
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 04:33:26 AM »
If you are not cleaning it real well before shooting and get all the oil out it could be a real problem. FRJ

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 04:42:30 AM »

Only if it runs out the vent or nipple into the stock.
It WILL make black streaks in Walnut in a few years.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Scout

• Mongrel Rifle School of North Florida
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 04:59:57 AM »

I followed a few folks advice on this forum and am now a believer in Hoppes #9 Plus and Ballistol. I have shot 15 rounds with no cleaning ( I ran out of time or it would have been more I'm sure ). There are fellas here that shoot ALL DAY no wiping !
I never came close to that with wonder lube , bore butter or anything else for that matter.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 05:01:39 AM by Ole Scout »
She ain't Purdy but she shoots real good !

Offline LH

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 01:06:18 PM »
Its got more to do with bore condition than cleaning juice.  Lap your bore and you wont need to wipe nearly as much.  A smooth bore will shoot all day without wiping if you keep shooting constantly.

Vomitus

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 01:59:25 AM »
  Tighten up your ball,patch, bore combination and you won't need to wipe at all. Try a saturated  spit patch that is .020. Get your ball size .005 under the bore size and have at 'er. That patch has to be  sloppy wet,not damp.This works for range use and trailwalks where the gun isn't loaded long. For hunting,just change to an oil base lube, leaving these other variables the same. Good luck.

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 03:23:57 AM »
I have to agree Leatherbelly  totally. I load  nearly all my rifles and one pistol  with roundballs 0.005" under bore, 10oz  denium (0.022") and mink oil or shenandoah lube. I have used spit, but have trouble with consistant wetness. Load tight, good lube and you will shoot  clean.
Gene

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 07:53:20 PM »
  Tighten up your ball,patch, bore combination and you won't need to wipe at all. Try a saturated  spit patch that is .020. Get your ball size .005 under the bore size and have at 'er. That patch has to be  sloppy wet,not damp.This works for range use and trailwalks where the gun isn't loaded long. For hunting,just change to an oil base lube, leaving these other variables the same. Good luck.
Works here also.

roamer

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 09:42:02 PM »
Sorry for getting back to you guys and thanks for your answers.
Finally when clean her up and put her away what lube or rustinhibitor shoul i put in the barrel

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 10:16:29 PM »
Sorry for getting back to you guys and thanks for your answers.
Finally when clean her up and put her away what lube or rustinhibitor shoul i put in the barrel

Key is get the bore dry.  I use ballistol in the bore til next use.

Vomitus

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2012, 10:23:58 PM »
  Roamer,
    I've had real good luck with WD40.Others mileage may vary. After I'm sure the bore is spotless clean, I shoot wd40 down the bore until it slobbers out the vent.Then,with a clean patch, I force the wd out the vent with a good hard push.After this I just run another clean patch to absorb any residual WD40 and stand it on it's muzzle and it's ready to shoot next time. Remember to wipe it clean just before you take her out again.

Vomitus

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 10:34:37 PM »
  Just a side note. WD40 isn't the best lubricant, it's one of the worst,...but,I find it is one of the best products for water displacement. I clean with nothing else but cold water. This method I stated in my post above has been used by me and several others I shoot with and we've never had any bad issues. Give it a try. Good luck.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 03:30:28 PM »
Be careful with the WD40 as it can wreak havoc with the finish on the stock.
Square bullets? Get a piece of square tubing,pour it full of lead.When it cools,push the lead bar out and cut to length. If its too small,don't worry because it won't be accurate anyhow.

Bob Roller