Author Topic: Bill Large Barrel On Ebay  (Read 8147 times)

dannylj

Bill Large Barrel On Ebay
« on: March 21, 2012, 07:05:52 AM »
If it is legitiment!! The title says it is a .570 Rayl barrel but it is clearly marked W M Large. The stamp looks right. Danny  http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-RAYL-HEAVY-570-Octagon-Muzzleloader-RIFLE-BARREL-Vintage-Gun-Parts-/310388200400?pt=Vintage_Hunting&hash=item48449413d0y

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
Re: Bill Large Barrel On Ebay
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 02:32:16 PM »
I think he wants you to think it is a "Large" barrel.
The Pistol Shooter

mattdog

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 03:58:54 PM »

When did Rayl start stamping W.M. Large on his barrels? 

Sumthin' wrong here.

Offline kutter

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 07:21:35 PM »
Stamped w/ individual letter stamps,,not one single marking stamp.

The 'L' double struck,,

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 08:02:45 PM »
Bill Large used individual stamps of 1/16" or what passed for 1/16". I have an identical set and also use individual letters and numbers and it sometimes looks like it. I used to mark Bill's barrels when he was busy at other tasks in the shop. More than once I have walked into that shop and every machine was running and Bill would be at the bench filing on something and more than once have I reset the planer after it had long completed its cut.
There ARE fake barrels with Bill's name on them done by opportunistic liars/thieves and other low life types so be careful and I think
"Caveat Emptor" must be observed.

Bob Roller

The other DWS

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 08:29:22 PM »
is it the "Large" stamping faked or is the Rayl attribution tag wrong--- or both?

Offline JDK

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 08:55:58 PM »
I contacted the guy selling the barrel.  He bought out an estate with allot of high quality gun parts in it.....just look at his other listings.  He has had Rayl barrels, swivel breach actions, etc.  He is not a gun guy and was only going on the information on the tag that was on the barrel.  It looks legit to me but I will let the experts decide.  J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 09:07:09 PM »
No way to know and therin lies the problem because this make of stencils are the most common and at one time,every hardware store sold them. As I stated,there are people of ill repute looking for opportunistic gain that won't hesitate to fake something.especially if the item has a name for qualty.
Back in the 70's,a man had on display at the Friendship,Indiana Fall shoot,four rifles he claimed had my locks on them and claimed he had direct contact with me and could get them anytime he needed them. I went to his display area and without identifying myself,asked him about the rifles. He said they did have "Bob Roller" locks and then I showed him my WV drivers licence an suggested he cut the BS and leave the range or he would be explaining this to the Ripley County Sheriff. Those locks were some slicked up imports and resembled nothing I had ever done and I also .told him I had never heard of him and had never sold him anything.I think he was from Massachussetts but this points out that if you become know for anything at all,you may be taken advantage of.

Bob Roller

Offline JDK

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 09:52:48 PM »
I don't know that that is the case here.  The seller has provided no less than 15 high quality pictures of this barrel and he started the bidding at a modest $9.95.  He might not know what he has but that doesn't mean it isn't what it is.  :D

It all comes down to two things: Caveat Emptor....and never spend more than you are willing to loose.  J.D.

J.D. Kerstetter

Offline little joe

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 12:45:51 AM »
The rifling looks like a W M Large 58 that I own. If I remember correctly Bill said it was Pope style rifling. 30 yrs ago at Friendship. Where does time go! Lil Joe

Offline cmac

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 12:50:01 AM »
Couldn't this just have been breached or maybe re-breached by Rayl?

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 03:26:04 AM »
I contacted the owner and asked why did he think it a Rayl when it was stamped Large. He said the barrel had a paper tag on it marked "Rayl underhammer", at the time he could not identify Large as a barrel maker but found that Rayl was and assumed the tag meant that it was a Rayl barrel. Now realizes its not a Rayl but a Large barrel.

Dennis
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 03:27:50 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

dannylj

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 03:53:14 AM »
For what it's worth I have 3 Large barrels. The stamp is curved like the ones I have and the letters look the same. One of mine is identical, one has periods after the first 2 letters, and one has JJJJ under the Large stamp. I ordered all 3 directly from Bill. I would guess it is real but who knows.  Danny